Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new bowhunter

whitetailmaniac

i am 15...and have been shotgun hunting for 4 years. this past summer, a friend of mine introduced me to bow hunting and now i'm in search of a bow before this upcoming season. i was wondering what bows you would suggest for a beginner. schrier bucks suggested a parker..maybe a wildfire. looking for one in the range of $150-$300 or as close to that as possible...thanks!

shoot as many bows as you possibly can before making the decision. With only one short month before season gets here make doubly sure that you're proficient before opening day.

i'm planning on going to bass pro with schrier bucks in council bluffs this saturday and shooting some there. if i get one before youth season..or even during it i will most likely try my luck then.

I don't have a suggestion for a bow, but I do suggest this. You need to become very proficient with your bow before you start flinging arrows at God's creatures. This isn't to say that you wouldn't be ready to hunt this fall, but unless you are a natural and a dead eye, I would say start shooting now and then try turkey hunting with your bow in spring.

I have only bow hunted one season so far. I bought my bow in Feburary and shot probably 2000 arrows at targets before I hunted deer in October. Then my very first shot at a deer I wounded a beautiful doe. It was very hard to overcome this, mentally. I almost quit bowhunting before I even really got started. I don't want this to happen to you.

Please get to know your bow like the back of your hand and practice alot before attempting to hunt. And practice alot from a treestand if you intend to hunt from one.

Matt

You beat me to it, Muddy.
grin.gif

get to as many shops as you can, shoot as many bows as you can. if you can narrow it to a model or a few models, you can get some good bargains on ebay, and the classifieds of hunting sites (like this one) and on archerytalk.com.

if you buy used, be sure you get a brand that a local shop can set up for you, if you get one that doesn't fit your draw length.

since you aren't going to have very much time for practice, i would shoot as much as possible, and limit you shots to within 20 yards. next year you will be ready to extend your range

Good luck. I wish I would have started at your age. Like the others said, practice with a purpose. I would start at a Bow Shop in your area so that you can get fitted by an expert. That may help to prevent future bad habits.

[ QUOTE ]
i'm planning on going to bass pro with schrier bucks in council bluffs this saturday and shooting some there. if i get one before youth season..or even during it i will most likely try my luck then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be a jackass, but trying to hunt with a bow this youth season is a completely UNrealistic goal. Thankfully you have to hunt with an adult during youth season and I PRAY there is NO adult that would allow you to try to shoot a deer with a bow and having less than 2 weeks of shooting experience. Less than two weeks of shooting will not have you prepared enough...no way.

This is my opinion and nothing personal against you in the least.

Just be patient and practice as much as you can, and then practice some more. If you get a bow this weekend you could possibly be ready for the regular bow season...it will depend on how much time you dedicate to practicing with your equipment.

I will offer up this advice. The more you try to rush when using archery equipment, especially when trying to get used to it for the first time, the more time you'll waste. You don't want to develop bad habits early on because they'll be that much harder to get rid of later.

I have been shooting a bow since I was about 8. I didn't actually go out bowhunting until I was about your age. And I didn't kill my first deer with a bow until I was 20.

My point being: It takes time, it takes practice, it takes dedication. I agree with the majority when saying I don't think a few weeks is enough to prepare yourself for bow season, your first one to boot. Most people on this site wouldn't be able to prepare themselves in 2 weeks for archery season, myself included.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I admire your zest for the sport and I think its great your are so interested at that young of an age.

Take our advice for what its worth but remember, all these guys telling you this have fired alot of shots over the years and put in countless hours in a tree stand with a bow in hand.

When it comes down to it, the final decision is ultimately up to you. I wish you the best of luck.
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

I know that you are interested in possibly a new bow, but I have one that I am willing to sell if you are interested. I will send you a PM with the details.

You know i'd suggest a DEERHUNTER by PSE lol. I've been bow hunting for 5 years now and killed many deer wit it. I was 15 when i started aswell lol. actually, I purchased that bow two weeks before my very first achery season down at Great American Outdoors in Salem, IOwa. Experience has nothin to do wit hittin a deer, its how fast u pick it up. Just make sure ur out there everyday shooting in your back yard, and practicing drawlin back and holding, until u can't hold anymore. Though for youth season, stick wit a shotgun. Enjoy it while it lasts, wish I was hunting youth again... Trust me, theres a reason behind buy one get two policy wit a bow license..

[ QUOTE ]
Experience has nothin to do wit hittin a deer, its how fast u pick it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to start a fight here, but I have to disagree with this. With today's bow's I think it's very possible to become proficient at 20 yards and in in a short time.

That being said there's a huge difference between shooting a target and shooting a deer, and expierience has everthing to do with that.

Can I ask this question, How many "years" do u need to be out in the field to be considered in having quote on quote "experience".. IT all depends on the person, not how many years you've been hunting.. Theirs guys in my shotgun group that are in their 50's that can't hit jack.. Theirs been plenty of stories of people that converted in their first year..

[ QUOTE ]
Can I ask this question, How many "years" do u need to be out in the field to be considered in having quote on quote "experience".. IT all depends on the person, not how many years you've been hunting.. Theirs guys in my shotgun group that are in their 50's that can't hit jack.. Theirs been plenty of stories of people that converted in their first year..

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't says there's some magic number that says you're experienced, and I'm not saying this kid couldn't shoot a deer this year with a bow. I do believe however that experience plays a huge part in being able to get the job done, and to say it has nothing to do with killing a deer to me is a stretch.

I think that shooting a deer with a bow during the youth season is a little on the optimistic side when he dosen't have a bow yet, and I think that he should have the mechanics of shooting a bow down before he jumps into the woods with it in his hand.

[ QUOTE ]
i am 15...and have been shotgun hunting for 4 years. this past summer, a friend of mine introduced me to bow hunting and now i'm in search of a bow before this upcoming season. i was wondering what bows you would suggest for a beginner. schrier bucks suggested a parker..maybe a wildfire. looking for one in the range of $150-$300 or as close to that as possible...thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a brand new Parker Pheonix for $300... It has a NAP rest with it.. its BRAND New! Just tryin to sell it for someone!

since you will probably out grow your bow before you know it, stick to the cheaper ones like you said. I shop at bass pro in cb as well.. Look to the parkers or the pse. Talk to steve if he's there let him know.. or jim or basically anyone they will hook you up the right way.

Well, Fawnkid and I went out to the city this weekend. We went to Cabelas and were not pleased at all with the way we were treated. We didn't have any help on finding a bow or anything. So we left there and went to Bass Pro. When we got there we were helped as soon as we set eyes on the bows. We got Mike fitted up with a new bow and pound changed so he could pull it. I thought he made a great choice on a bow. He got a new Parker. I personally think Parkers are great bows. Now the practice takes place. I know a lot of you said not to hunt this first year but I am going to say you learn from your mistakes. It is all just a learning experience for everyone that is new. I wish everyone the best of luck these seasons and stay safe while out in the stands.

If you can hit a plate at 20 yrds and are confident at doing so, then get your butt in the treestand or ground blind. No experience like seat time baby!!!!!!

I couldnt hit crap when I first started out and wounded a few deer but dont think I didnt spend the hrs look'n for them, put some bad shots on deer also, but still went look'n for them. Shiat happens, Im sure most of us have had a bad hit now and again but keep hunt'n.

I wouldnt say that I ever will be experienced because if you have practiced every shot that you think you will ever incounter, then I need to meet you and throw the B.S. flag.

So should I quite bowhunting till I get "experienced"?

I will stick with that I am confident to kill a deer with my bow
smirk.gif

Git R dun Fawn Kid....

3 words...
Shoot, Shoot and Shoot

put hours in and become confident. go whack somthing...
best of luck to you!!

Top Bottom