Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new carry gun

LYON

PMA Member
okay guys, I know this subject has been beaten to death and I was going to start searching through the threads trying to find the info I'm looking for but decided to start my own thread with my own wants rather than wade through the endless ocean of info. So...I'm planning to purchase a new handgun that will be used for concealed carry. I have had my permit for awhile now and am starting to think about carrying. First and foremost I want something I can very easily conceal. I'm looking for small! The main guns I have been looking at are the. 380 acp pocket pistols (Ruger lcp, Kel tech p3at and Taurus tcp). I really like the fact that they are extremely small and could be concealed while wearing nearly any kind if clothing. But, I'm not entirely sold on the round, it may not be quite sufficient. Thoughts on the round or those guns? If you have issues with that round or gun choice, what are your suggestions? I have not held very many which I will do but would like to be as educated as I can be before walking into a gun shop or wherever to start doing the touch and feel. Also, where do you typically carry? Pocket? Holster (if so, where)? As far as budget is concerned, I am on a somewhat tight budget so keep that in mind when considering options. Thanks for the help!

My brother has the LCP. It is extremely easy to carry. It's not even noticeable in your front pocket. You can carry it anywhere. Downside.... It's sucks to shoot. The little thing is very very snappy and target practice isn't any fun because the gun is so small that its uncomfortable to hold and even more uncomfortable to shoot. Very hard to be accurate with this gun. I wouldn't want one personally. It's only good for very close encounters. My dad has the lc9, which feels ALOT more comfortable. Haven't shot it but I'm sure it's much more enjoyable than the LCP. Also, you may want to check out the LCR I. .38 special +P. I've put a ton of rounds through this gun. Light. Comfortable. Reliable. I don't really have much experience with other manufacturers of smaller carry weapons.

I am in the same boat. Been beating my head trying to figure out what I want. looked at hundreds of reviews. I am leaning towards the Kahr CM9 (9mm $400) or the Kahr P380 (380 $500). The LCP they claim isn't fun to shoot. My buddy who is the biggest gun nut I know loves his Tarus TCP. He has owned most the 380s but sold them and settled on the tcp. Says its a joy to shoot and is accurate compared to others. Who knows but I am really digging the CM9. Got to get my permit first though.

What really sucks is I would like to carry most when I am bowhunting public ground. I have read too many stories of people getting robbed or shot back at the truck because they know you don't have a gun. My mind wanders too much with all the crap that is going on in the world. I guess I need to grow a set.

If your looking for a .380 I like the S&W Bodyguard. If you don't mind a somewhat bigger gun but still an excellent carry gun check out the Springfield XDS. It's a .45 and shoots and feels amazing.

Does anyone else carry a rugar sr9 or sr9c?

Brother just bought 1 of these yesterday the "c" model in a .40 and seems to like it. I went with the Springfield .40 XD sub compact and really like it so far as well.

Too early for any real reviews from us but all of the hand guns we picked up seemed to be a very nice and it ended up being a choice of which felt best in the hand. That and a "middle of the road" budget range.:thrwrck:

IMO the 380 is a waste. Might as well get a 25. Gotta remember dead men don't lie. Get a 9mm at the least. The 380 is one of those fads like the short mag rifle calibers & the 45 cal muzzleloaders.

I carry a full size XD40. Great gun for the $ & safe to carry. Shoots great too.

This is going to be a gun you hope you never have to use...but make sure that it will do the job if you do have to use it.

Last edited:
I carry a glock 23 all day everyday. I also have a Sig p-238 for summertime clothes. and a north American arms .22 mag revolver that is in my pocket at all times no matter what I'm wearing. choose a gun that is easy to conceal and reliable. caliber is not all that important In a self defence situation. the noise produced from my little .22 mag would be enough to deter anyone. if you buy a full sized .45 it's going to end up sitting at home in a case not with you. I hope and pray that I never have to use a gun to defend myself but I'm damn sure that if I ever have to I will have a gun with me.

Regarless of the caliber you get, be sure you PRACTICE,PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!
I can't stress that enough! Its the stike of the round that kills, not the report of the weapon!
Believe it or not, i'm considering a 22 mag for concealed carry. And before any of you start telling me how that's a bad idea, look at the energy that round produces inside of 20 yds. With a double tap (now called a controlled pair) to the forehead and the threat is nullified. Anyway, I'm not looking for a debate on suitable calibers. I only wanted to express my belief that you MUST be proficient with your chosen weapon.

Kudos to Rich77. Didn't see your post before I submitted mine

Last edited:
9MM Boberg get's my vote -This one is not the cheapest option but I guess the way I look at it if you need it what is it worth then. I got one of the first ones out and it shoots like a dream the design allows you to stay settled in your target like a bigger gun. It carries fine in a pocket.

http://www.bobergarms.com/

IMO the 380 is a waste. Might as well get a 25. Gotta remember dead men don't lie. Get a 9mm at the least. The 380 is one of those fads like the short mag rifle calibers & the 45 cal muzzleloaders.

I carry a full size XD40. Great gun for the $ & safe to carry. Shoots great too.

This is going to be a gun you hope you never have to use...but make sure that it will do the job if you do have to use it.

I couldn't agree more. I absolutely hate the .380. James Bond has done nothing for reality with this caliber. If someone is close enough for you to use it, then you've let them get too close! :way:

But then, I'm a bad person to ask about a concealed carry pistol because when I carry one, I carry my full size 1911. Because it doesn't conceal very well, people figure out that I have one and I've seen people give a wide berth!

I've had a taurus tcp .380 for about two years now. Carry it everyday and shoot it atleast every other week. Never had any problems. Its a great gun. Just got a LC9. Might start to carry it after shooting it for a few months. It seams to be a good gun also.

I have a cw40 and love the compact size, it is a little tough to shoot and the trigger pull is not very good but for the money it is a great little carry gun. As an added bonus I have been told is in totally made and assembled in the USA.

Top Bottom