Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Equipment Reviews

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
Interested to hear any good or bad feed back on any equipment that you guys used this fall that you really liked or disliked. By new I mean not necessarily new on the market, but new to you this season.

For me I switched to Wasp Hammer SST 3 blade fixed heads... I shot 3 does and a buck with them. (shot another doe with a Wasp Jakhammer). All deer dropped within sight of my stand. I shot a very large doe in mid November with this head at a very steep angle quartering away. I thought the hit looked a little far back, but she did not make it 50 yards.

There are a lot of good heads on the market, but for the price (under $30 for SIX heads) these would be hard to beat. I will be using these for some time. Great flight with blazer fletchings. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Precision rifle dead center muzzleloader bullets, and the butt out tool. I was one of those guys that thought the butt out tool was a joke until I tried it. Won't gut a deer without it now. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif That's about the only new things I tried this year.

LW stand and sticks. First year using them and loved them. Alot more choices for setting up on some of the public ground rather than using my climber. Barnes Spitfire MZ muzzleloader bullets too.

Badlands 2200. LOVE IT! Probably the best piece of equipment I've ever owned. Plenty of storage space. Very durable, and makes packing in stands and blind very easy.

Double Bull Dark Horse. Haven't used it yet, but I sat it up in my living room and it's really nice! I can see why the call it the "Dark Horse". It is pitch black inside this thing. Made of great material and just an all around solid blind. I got some real strange looks from my wife once she noticed I was actually watching TV from inside it!

Muddy Pro Hunter. Haven't used it yet, but it was very easy to hang in a tree in my back yard. Looking forward to using it this coming weekend. Stand is extremely light weight, comfortable and dead quiet.

Lone Wolf Sticks. Again, haven't used them yet, but they were very easy to set up on the same tree in my back yard. Will be using them this coming weekend as well. I think the stick/muddy stand combination is going to be deadly.

Undertaker Broadheads. Absolutly love these broadheads. Leave a mean entrance and exit hole. Shot 3 deer with the same head, first one being a pass through on both shoulders. They fly as true as any broadhead that you can find.

Muddy Pro hunter stand. Hunted many, many evening out of this stand. Very easy to set up, very comfortable. One thing is to remember to do is, do not put the rachet strap on top, the stand will rub against the tree, and make a squeak ( louder, depending on what type of tree you are in). Used it with the lone wolf sticks, great combo.

Dark horse blind. Once again, love this blind. Deer paid no attention to it, if brushed in properly. Once season started, I put it between two hay bales, and literly had deer within inches of the blind (have it on video). I didn't kill any deer out of it, but there were 3 deer shot out of my blind this year. Best blind there is, in my opinion.

Artic Shield Clothing. This stuff is WARM. I sat out in the negative degree temps, with about a 15 mph wind, on top of a ridge, 18 foot in a tree, and stayed as warm if it was 50 degree's out. Not good clothing to be walking around in, it will burn you up. I hear alot of people complaining about it being loud, once it gets cold, but the newer types (like I have) have a softer material than the olders ones, I did find out. No noise complaint from me. Only noise I was getting was from rubbing up against the tree. This stuff is definilty worth every penny, and to be used when it gets cold, not just chilly.

Leupold Wind River binoculars. Very satisified with them, similar optics to the super high $$ outfits, great low light gathering ability, crisp and clear.

Nikon 550 rangefinder. This was the first year I've used a rangefinder so it was an eye opener. I really wish I'd done this earlier. The confidence I had on stand was much higher than ever due to having many landmarks at each stand site pre-ranged.

Icebreaker boot blankets. Only used them twice but had GREAT results. My feet were getting cold on several occasions so I got mad and bought them as an impulse buy. They work as advertised plus some. Drawbacks are the bulky factor and that's about it. If you're in between sizes, order up. If I had it to do over, I'd consider the Arctic Shields as they seem to have a less bulky profile.

River's Edge treestand canopy. In addition to getting cold this year, it seemed like we got wet alot! In my previously mentioned fit, I also bought this unit to keep dry. It worked great and has a lot of coverage unlike many of the umbrella type units. Disadvantages are that it's heavy and noisy but it comes with a carrying bag which helps. The key to using one of these is installing the bracket around the tree first, then use a tow rope to bring up the frame/canopy and install it last. Also, it's big so you really need to be high in the tree for it not to get noticed (over 20 ft, 25 is better). The real use for these are all day hunts during the rut.

Heater body suit. Yet to be fully field tested but a trial fit at home revealed great potential. This may be one of my better purchases in some time. Materials of construction met my expectations.

Lone Wolf Sticks. Again, yet to be field tested but these things pretty much speak for themselves. Can't wait to get them into the field for a quick stand next year. That stand will be the Lone Wolf Alpha which will have to wait until '09. I'm running out of money as evidenced by my list. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Muddy Hunter Pro
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

HooeyMan Saw!

if you are a hang and hunt kinda guy, this tool is invaluable!!!

Primos Predator Den blind

Cabela's Predator Den Blind

This is my first blind. Hunted a couple different times out of it. I prefer to treestand hunt but I bought this product in order to hunt some with my younger kids. Windows are zippered, mesh is velcro. Therefore, the windows are not very quiet so you better figure which ones you want open and closed early in your hunt. Very packable, not much different in weight that a LW & sticks. Hunted with my two 8 yr. olds and had plenty of room for the three of us. Also hunted recently in a freezing drizzle and it was very comfortable and dry inside during what would have been a miserable 3 hour treestand sit.

Is it the best of the market, obviously not. However, my initial reaction to this product is money well spent (about $130). Durability will most likely be the area in which my opinion may change but hopefully not. It's weakpoints (windows) were not a surprise as I saw similar comments in product reviews threads.

I got the Bass Prod Shops CWS Parka for Christmas and Have had it in the field 7 times Goose hunting. One night it was 10 degrees and wind blowing 10-15 for three hours. I was out in the open laying in corn stubble and never even began to get cold. I have had the Bibs for about 3 years and love them, the Parka just finishes off the set. Man do I love it.

Easton N-Fused arrows. Great Arrows!
Magnus Buzzcuts. They will break some bone!
Lacrosse Alpha light boots. Very nice but could be warmer.
Grey Wolf Woolens. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
Vapor trail string. Me likey!

I got the Nikon 550 rangefinder this year. I like it a lot. I feel more confident now that I am certain of the distances.

I also just got the lone wolf assault and I will try it out tomorrow for the first time.

Heater Body suite: It allowed me to hunt and stay on stand durring the coldest days this season including today w no problem. I am quite amazzed how warm i stay in it. It cuts the wind great and keeps all your heat inside.

I used my lone wolf assault for the first time Saturday and shot a doe. Not bad, first hunt with my new stand and filled a tag.

Top Bottom