Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New food plot already disced to dirt question

skyleralan

PMA Member
My dad and I were having to disc some of his 7 year CRP and I told him where I was going to put some food plots in, in the next 2-4 weeks (clover). Well, before having time to spray the weeds/grasses my dad thought it would be nice to go ahead and disc those areas to help out before actually talking to me (had good intentions).

So, needless to say, those areas are now pretty much disced to dirt, BUT I didn't get to spray them before hand. With the rains coming soon this week, would it be best for me to get out after the rain and spray the dirt still with some glyphosate and then disc again and broadcast my seed, would that still work?

Suggestions, or any tips let me know.

Glyphosphate only works on actively growing plants, so spraying it on bare dirt would be a waste. Disking in the spring will almost for certain mean that you will see a lot of weed growth for the next couple of months and many do not disc in the spring for that reason. But since it has already been done you will just have to prepare yourself for a "weed fight" at this point.

I would let the weeds come in some and when things are 4"-6" tall or so THEN I would hit them hard with gly. Then broadcast your clover seed on the top of the soil and then press it in if you can with a cultipacker or even back and forth with your tractor or ATV tires.

Let the clover come up and then either fight the weeds that you will also see by mowing above the clover another 1-3 times this summer OR spray Select(or generic equivalent). Select will kill grasses you do not want, but will not harm the clover.

Your not out of luck in terms of getting a clover stand growing, but you now have more work in front of you to manage the weeds.

Well, that wasn't exactly good news. I guess I will wait for some weeds to pop and get to work.

After I spray the new weeds is there a time table as far as length of time to wait before discing and broadcasting the seed?

Top Bottom