Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New here

Herkster

Hey guys and gals

I'm a new member here and am taking up bowhunting next year. I just picked up my first bow, PSE Brute X. I liked how it shot and it was in the price range I wanted. I know, it's not the latest and greatest, but I still bet it will knock down a deer.

I have a year worth of trying to get ground to hunt besides public, scouting, and setting up trail cameras.

I have quite a list of things I need to purchase yet, but it's a start!

Welcome aboard! Just a warning though...bowhunting is a surefire way to get G.A.S!!! (Gear Aquisition Syndrome):grin:

Welcome aboard! Just a warning though...bowhunting is a surefire way to get G.A.S!!! (Gear Aquisition Syndrome):grin:

So was goose hunting, duck hunting, and ice fishing!

The things I still need are field tip arrows (I believe) for practicing, my target, and then stands, trail cams, new camo, harness (requirement from the better half, probably a good idea), oh, and acquiring permission to hunt some land :p

The things I still need are field tip arrows (I believe) for practicing, my target, and then stands, trail cams, new camo, harness (requirement from the better half, probably a good idea), oh, and acquiring permission to hunt some land :p

Welcome... you dont need to buy seperate arrows for your fieldtips.. just buy the same grain field tips as the broadheads you plan to shoot and swap the tips out.. If your bow is in tune perfectly, you shouldnt have to adjust your sights when switching, but you may have to make some minute adjustments.

Welcome to IW...we will help if we can.

There's nothing wrong with hunting public ground, just do your scouting and research to find the areas that hold the best numbers of deer. There's deer out there on public land, they just 'can' experience more pressure than private ground may.

Lol new guy! I can only wish that my "things I still need" was so short:D
Welome to the funnest family oriented place on the world wide web! That's no joke about your harness (should be num 1 on yer list)

That's no joke about your harness (should be num 1 on yer list)

Exactly. I'd hate to hear about the new guy not being around any more. I might even have one of the standard harnesses that comes free with a stand if you want it.

Exactly. I'd hate to hear about the new guy not being around any more. I might even have one of the standard harnesses that comes free with a stand if you want it.

Oh really? I'll shoot ya a PM

Not exactly sure what I want to do, I know I'll get a harness, I'm positive on that. What are your guys' preference, ground blinds or tree stands? I have a vast amount of public around me and saw quite a few nice bucks tonight while I was driving around, don't worry, I wasn't hunting already!

I got about 10 of those harnesses that come with tree stands. I'll send it to ya if you pm me your address. Get a target and start practicing, then get a stand and get out there this year if you have time. I didn't know a whole lot the first year I started bowhunting, I just read about it a lot and got out there.

Personally i hate hunting in ground blinds, i would rather be 15 to 20 feet up in the stand. Blinds can be very affective If brushed in right the deer wont even know your there.

Welcome to the site! I was told once when i was just starting out to become a sponge and just absorb everything. I think the best way to become a better hunter is excperience.

Welcome aboard! You must be anticipating on getting close to those deer if you plan to knock one down with that bow......I've never knocked a deer down with my bow, I usually use an arrow. Thank you, I'll be here all night :). Sorry for the stupid humor.

LYON said:
Welcome aboard! You must be anticipating on getting close to those deer if you plan to knock one down with that bow......I've never knocked a deer down with my bow, I usually use an arrow. Thank you, I'll be here all night :). Sorry for the stupid humor.

Wow ....ignore the knotheads on this site and welcome aboard! Learn the most by trial and error! Pricey hobby but well worth it in the end! Ever need a help post a question and usually there are a few guys that will know a lot about it... Just avoid the clowns and don't pay any attention to them! Go get 'em chooter!!

Nice choice on the PSE Brute. I bought one new last year and I've killed 3 deer with it already. Killed every deer ive shot at. It's a nice bow really. I read a ton of reviews on it and even people who bought it is a backup to their Hoyt or Mathews said they thought it great. Some even used it as their #1 bow. Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that the riser is machined from solid aluminum block vs being cast and then machined. For as inexpensive as the brute is, that a great value. Any way good luck. And remember to shop smart. Read reviews on everything. Purchase online if possible. Tons of gear out there. So much that easy decisions become very difficult!

Oh and dont take stuff to far, excpecially when a statements intended to be a joke. (like above) some people take stuff to far and get mad over dumb stuff.

Welcome aboard. I am also a new hunter. This being my first bow season. Last yr muzzie. I have limited land and am currently hunting public land. And i can tell ya its not bad if u find the right place. I found mine on a whim and lucked out as im the only one hunti g it and its got from what ive seen 2 really nice bucks and tons of huge does. So public ground is not all that bad.

Ha! I was confused when I started reading it, but then it hit me. Good work :)

I'll do my best not to actually knock the deer down with my bow, but my arrow instead :)

Oh and dont take stuff to far, excpecially when a statements intended to be a joke. (like above) some people take stuff to far and get mad over dumb stuff.

I take things pretty light-hearted. I knew he was joking around!

Thanks for the warm welcome all, there are many more responses than I thought I'd get!

Top Bottom