Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New law for boaters

Handcannon

If you're like me & have a fisherman under the age of 13 - there was a new law made active May 10 that requires anyone 12 & under to wear a life jacket while the boat isn't tied-up or anchored. Doesn't say what the penalty is for not complying.

Re: New law for boaters (updated)

From the IDNR:

New Mandatory Life Jacket Law for Youth

DES MOINES - A new boating law was signed into law by Iowa Governor Chet Culver on May 10 requiring children under age 13 to wear a life jacket while in a boat that is underway. The law became effective on May 10.

"This is a good law and we are glad to have it," said Randy Edwards, assistant chief of the DNR's Law Enforcement Bureau and past president of the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators.

The new law states "a person shall not operate a vessel in Iowa unless every person on board the vessel who is age 12 and under is wearing a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket." A lifejacket must be worn when the vessel is underway, which means when a vessel is not at anchor, tied to a dock or the bank/shore or aground.

A child age 12 and under in an enclosed cabin, below deck, or aboard a commercial vessel with a capacity of 25 persons or more is exempt.

There are only two states remaining without some age requirement for life jackets for children - Wisconsin and Virginia.

For more information, contact Edwards at 515-281-6154 or Susan Stocker, boating education coordinator for the DNR, at 515-281-0122.

Thanks for this post. It is information I will need, but did not know.

NWBuck

its about time a law like this is mandated...!

its not for you or me, but for those parents who disregard the safety of their own children, which again isnt about us.

seat belts aren't a bad thing?! kinda the same in my book

Great law if you ask me. There are a lot of dumb people out there that need everything spelled out for them.

Unfortuate that laws have to replace common sense.

I have to wonder where they came up with the age 12?

The 'Bonker

12 is the magic age. 12 & under eat free, must be 12 to ride this ride, must 12 to get hunters safety certificate, etc..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'll be the first to admit that if this had been law in the past, I could've been ticketed. I have a 9 year old son who fishes with me a lot. Whenever we're under power, he's got his life jacket on...no exceptions. Same if we're dealing with rough water. But there may be times when we're on a slow drift on a hot summer day that I'd let him take it off. The way I read the law, that'd be illegal.

Top Bottom