Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Magazine recommendations

the magazine SaskGuy writes for. Can't find my issue laying around, but it is an awesome magazine with very few ads.

Thanks for the plug. It is called Big Game Illustrated and so far has been doing real well. It's been picked up by a major distributor due to success and you can now find it on the shelf in Iowa at a bunch of different places, Cabelas being one. It's more for the people who enjoy reading stories of the hunt, much like Big Buck magazine. The vast majority of the stuff inside is real hunts from people like us. It's not full of how to, and has less ads than any hunting magazine, I guarantee that. You could find more info on it at www.biggameillustrated.com. Anyone wanting more info on Garry's magazine can find it at www.bigbuckmag.com I believe.

Last edited:
NAW is a shell of what it was. After Intermedia bought the NAW, it turned into an advertisement magazine. Duncan Dobbie quit because he was forced to make these changes.

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/pso/article/end_of_an_era_at_north_american_whitetail

Big Buck is what NAW was prior to these changes. I had every of NAW since it started but now just read the few harvest stories at the local store. I need to look into Big Game Illustrated. From the description, it sounds like the old NAW.

Three great magazines that sadly are not whitetail related but are excellent magazines. I think any hunter would like them but. I hunt elk so I love them and they are what the old NAW was for ELK. If you plan to every hunt out west or want to live western hunting through a magazine, you need to give these a read.

Western Hunter, Elk Hunter, and Extreme Elk

Last edited:
Big Buck Magazine.
Buy it, and you'll be waiting at the mailbox like a little kid for the next issue.

NA WhiteTail has gone down the tubes. Too many ads. Not enough deer.

I really do encourage anyone who like Big Buck to check out BGI. They are extremely comparable in set up, story type, live deer photos, length, lack of ads etc... The most recent issue has a 187" fro Ohio, a 240" from Mn, a Wi 237"er and a bunch of Canadian trophies. The last page is a series of up close and personal incredible photos of a buck fight here during the rut, talk about blood!!

I also know that Garry recently sold Big Buck, so time will tell if the format changes at all.

Last edited:
I completely forgot about the Big Game Illustrated magazine...I am beginning to enjoy that one more than any other one out there. Awesome stuff in that magazine.

Top Bottom