Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New member - 1st post - 2nd season success

IA_shooter

I finally decided to become a member of this forum since I'd like to learn more about managing a small piece of land that is owned by my wife's family that I have hunted for years. It has a small timber patch with an old quarry pond and a creek running through it and some CRP ground next to it, about 80-90 acres I believe. The land to the south of it used to be my wife's Grandfather's land/farm for many years and me and my B-N-L's had hunted there for many, many years (mostly pheasant hunting) and the current owner let's me hunt there.

I have shot one or two does every year for several years for the meat for my personal consumption and to give to friends/family/etc but I have become more and more interested in trying to take a decent buck in the future. Last year was the first year I shot a buck, a decent little 5X4 9-pointer, during 2nd season shotgun. This year I shot another 9 pointer during 2nd season, a main frame 8 that had 2 small kickers up front, one of which is exactly one inch tall so I guess it qualifies as a point? The small kicker on the other side was only 1/2" tall.

This is also the 1st year I have hunted with a handgun as well as a shotgun. I took a small button buck with my handgun, a S&W 460 XVR w/Leupold VXII 4X28mm scope, at just over 100 yards and the next day I took a nice big doe @ 10 yards and my buck @ 210 yards with my slug gun, a 20 gauge H&R Ultra Slug Hunter w/a Nikon 2-7X32 BDC 200 scope.

Some of you probably know me as topH20terror over on IowaSportsman if you frequent that site.

Again, my main reason for joining this forum is to learn more about managing a small piece of ground for the future but I also plan to participate/contribute to this site in the future. Thanks for your time.

Trevor

This year's 2nd season success picture's ........................

2013-12-15131141_zpse74146b6.jpg

DSCN0327_zpsd7f4af5f.jpg

Welcome to the site and congrats on your success this year! 210 yards is quite the poke! Good shootin!

Nice hand cannon Trevor. That is a nice buck and some big does. You are in the right place to become a better land manager. Welcome

Welcome. There is a ton of great information on this site about managing for deer and improving your property. Congrats on your luck this year.

Way to get it done with the hand cannon!! Congrats on a very sucsessful shotgun season. Welcome to the site

Welcome to the site! Looks like that snow camo will be handy in south eastern Iowa in the next few days

Welcome!!! Not sure if that doe is not more impressive than that buck!! Geez she has a giant body!!

That's my home made snow camo I made a few years ago using cheap white oversized sweats from Wally World. Then I used a couple sharpies and drew the pattern on it myself...........works very well in the snow sitting in a timber.

I'm pretty sure that's the biggest doe I've ever taken, she was very big bodied as you can see in the pic. :D

Top Bottom