Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Missouri Deer Regulations

Finally, the Missouri Department of Conservation has made an attempt to improve the age structure of the bucks in our deer herd.

Recently published on the MDC website are the new regulations.

Some of the major changes include:

Archery season starting Sep 15, 2004(who knows, maybe a nice buck could be taken in velvet!)
and 29 counties having a "4 point restriction", meaning a legal antlered buck must have 4 points of at least 1 inch on one side. A standard 6 pointer (3X3) will not be legal for either gun or bow hunters.

We still didn't get the gun season moved to later in the year AFTER the peak of the rut, but it's a start.

Hopefully, we'll see more mature bucks in the coming years!

MO

Its a good idea but unfortunatley I believe its uneffective. The point restrictions will do little if any to affect the deer population. If a guy is going to shoot a buck he is going to shoot it regardless of how many points it has on one side. They have tryed the same thing in many other states and it has shown little success. The only way you are gonna have a significant impact is like you said, move firearm season out of the rut. Just my thoughts.

Missouri needed to do something and I think they are on the right track......I think the antler restrictions are a joke tho....some folks will just leave a 6 point lay knowing they may get a fine if that is the penalty. Missouri has the potential to be the top producer of big bucks if they can adjust the age stuture of the herd to produce older bucks...at least north of the Mo River. Good start but I think they will need to do more for the herd in the future. Just my 2 cents after going to college and living in MO for a few years...

Top Bottom