Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Muzzleloader... Encore or Disc Extreme

pwrgraphics

PMA Member
After I gather any Christmas money that I get I'll be in the market for a new muzzleloader. Right not I'm shooting an Austin & Halleck. It is an awesome shooting gun except it's really heavy. It actually gives me a headache from the sling when I walk to my hunting spot.

As far as a new gun, I'm looking for accuracy. I know that if the issue would be an "easy to clean gun" the Encore would be an excellent choice. I'm just more concerned about trying to shoot bullet holes at 100 yards. Thanks fellas.

What you have is a great gun...most ML out there are pretty heavy anyways. You can't go wrong with either of the two you are looking at

I saw a cartoon about a disc gun where the hunter forgot his disc at home and thus was sunk. Not sure how true that is.
I agree with Shredder that most mz guns are going to be on the heavy side. I sling mine across my body with the muzzle down. For a change of pace, I'll sling it muzzle up across the body. Then, you can always sling it over a shoulder. Keep mixing it up to prevent fatigue. I have no experience with Austin & Halleck, but from what I have read, they are top end muzzleloaders.

If I was looking to purchase a mz right now and the choice was t/c or knight, I'd lean towards the t/c (JMO).

I think either would be accurate with the right load. My encore is shooting around 2" with 100g of T7 and a 250g SST. My buddies Omega consistantly shoots 1" groups with the same load.
IMO, bolt actions on muzzleloaders are like tits on a boar, but the Knights are nice guns.

I shoot a Knight Disc Extreme, it is a very accurate firearm. Capable of sub 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards from a bench rest.

I think the Encore is a well made firearm, however the Encore has a heavy trigger pull.

The Knights have a Timney trigger, you can adjust the trigger weight to what you want.

IMO trigger weight effects accurancy.

Just my 2 cents.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I saw a cartoon about a disc gun where the hunter forgot his disc at home and thus was sunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

That one that I wouldn't let sway my decision. Most disc shooters have their primers primed in the disc and ready to go. If you forget your primers (or musket caps, percussion caps, etc.) you are sunk whether they are in disc or not. You can forget a primer when using an Encore same as you could forget a disc using a disc gun.

My vote would be for;

1. Knight Disc Extreme, Knight Disc Elite or T/C Omega.

2. Savage MLII

The Encore is a great gun too but is overpriced compared to these others in my opinion. It offers the ability to swap barrels but then for the amount spent for that extra barrel, you can almost buy another whole gun instead. The gun you already have is a very good one as well and I think you will find that these other guns are heavy as well. The Whites are reported as being great shooters but I have no first hand experience with them nor do I personally know anyone who does. Like Blake reports, the Extreme and Elite have great triggers. But, reports on the Knight Vision or Revolution are not getting those positive reports on their triggers, although I have not shot one.

JMHO

Knight Disc Extreme..I have 2 of them 1 for my wife and the other is mine. they both are shooting very tight groups..

I have owned several Knights (Disc, Wolverine and Elite) and the TC Encore.

The Encore was a great gun and shouldered well. It seems to be a very popular smokepole with guys on this site. The accuracy seemed to be pretty good and TC has a one of the best records for customer service. Having the option of buying different barrels is definitely advantageous if you plan on using it for more then one application.

I guess it all comes down to what you want your gun to do?

All my Knights have been outstanding guns and have been great shooters out of the box. My favorite is by far the Disc Elite which was discontinued. If you can get ahold of one they can easily achieve sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I will mention that you can pick one up for around 250 in SS with a 26 inch barrel? Thats about 300 dollars less then the Encore and the Knights are made right here in Iowa.
grin.gif

I guess the bottom line is if you dont need the interchangable barrel option any Knight Disc is a great choice.
waytogo.gif
No sense in paying the extra money on options you don't plan on using.

I had this same dilemma not long ago, I went with the Knight based on the performance of my old Knight... the fact that the Encore cost nearly twice that of the Knight was also a factor.

Sounds like the KNIGHT is the best bang for the MONEY!! Hey did any of you guys win the IOWA powerball??

knights are made down in centerville iowa, and their customer service is AWESOME. i have thought about making the jump to the encore, but i just can't. the knights are great guns

[ QUOTE ]
knights are made down in centerville iowa, and their customer service is AWESOME. i have thought about making the jump to the encore, but i just can't. the knights are great guns

[/ QUOTE ]
This is one of the reasons I've stuck with Knight made here in Iowa and great customer service. The only time I've had a problem with mine was a mistake in which I made, it wasn't the guns fault, but when I called them on it they were absolutely great to work with.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Knight. I have shot a Knight the entire time I have muzzleloaded and wouldn't trade it for the world. Although I personally don't own the Disc Extreme, my uncle does and it is an amazing firearm. Have never had a misfire, problem, break-down or anything with my old Knight. Hunted in 90 degree heat, below zero cold, pouring rain, blizzard snow. Just shoot it and clean it.

I have had firsthand experience with the friendly people down in Centerville at the factory.....you couldn't find better folks.

If anyone is still looking, you can find some very good prices on some Knight Elites or Extremes at this site (click here). I just stummbled onto this and have not purchased anything from him in the past.

Did anyone ever purchase a muzzleloader from the website that 150 Class mentioned in the above post? Just wondering on the credibility of the guy. Thanks!

Top Bottom