Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Plot Dilemma

MO-APE

I recently manually cleared an 3/4 acre of a timbered ridge with a chainsaw, most tops and logs are removed but still have a weekend or two of removal to do.

I was planning on frost seeding white clover but don't think I can get it all cleaned, limed & fertilized in time (still haven't done a soil test).

What would you guys suggest? 1) get it limed ASAP & try to catch late March frost/thaw cycle and frost seed 2) Spring plant clover with a cover crop and fight grass/weeds chemically or 3) work on the soil all summer and then fall plant clover?

This was thick timber with little to no undergrowth.

Id take a leaf blower and make a fire break all the way around it and then burn it off. Dont know if youll be able to do that though soon enough to still get a frost seed in though

Frost seeding works pretty well, but certainly isn't the only way to get where you're going. Finish your cleanup, disc/till in your lime etc., seed clover with oats this spring and then spray &/or mow as needed for weeds. You should be fine.

Last year I put quite a few "New" plots in via frost seeding. I started off by tilling my plots in very early, right after the ground was soft enough. I then seeded and dragged. The clover doesn't really germinate well until the soil temperature is around 57 deg. or so, so it still took quite a while for the seeds to germinate. The clover came in very well...but so did all the weeds. I spent most of the summer trying to mow the weeds off before finally deciding to spray and replant. Going into this summer I am going to wait until the fresh greens come up, spray them, then plant.

Top Bottom