Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Plot in switchgrass

BJohnson

I am going to try to re-establish a clover plot in an area of switchgrass on a friends farm that I hunt. My understanding from the landowner is the clover was there about 3-4 years ago but not maintained. You can still see areas of clover dispersed within the switchgrass.

My first step was going to be to spray the switch to kill it, mow then till multiple times this summer. I would then broadcast part of the plot in clover - part of it in oats this August. My hope is the oats will draw deer this fall and then frost seed more clover in Mar 2013 to thicken the clover plot for the next couple of years. I think it is going to be approx. 2-3 acres total.

My initial question is this. Locally I can get a product called Pronto Big N Tuf - 41% Glyphosate pretty conveniently. I was interested in hearing some suggestions on mix rates for spraying the switch to try to kill it for preparation of mowing-tillage and also hearing any first-hand experiences with this product. My reading of the Big N Tuf label has me thinking 3-5 qts/acre - 10 gallons/acre of water ??

Am I in the ballpark ??

Thanks

I've been using 41% glyphosate at the rate of 64oz/acre. And adding 2lbs. of ammonium sulfate in my tank of 15 gals. I can cover about an acre with a tank full.

Top Bottom