Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new to area

violator742005

Hey everyone. Im new to iowa. Just moved here from Washington state.. love white tail hunting. Have no idea where to go or what techniques to use. Im in des moines to be a us army recruiter. I have white tail hunted alot in ohio. Anyone need a hunting buddy? Or any ideas.. thanks. Adam.

Welcome to the site, you should find plenty of info ( mostly good ) . There are plenty of members from the Des Moines area.......good luck!

Welcome...You are on the right track by checking this site. Lots of good guys that are willing to help out.

Great site here. Go to scheels buy a sportsmans atlas. Look at the ground an hour south on thirtyfive. Your in.

It's a long drive for you but worth it, since you are military you can get right in at the ammo plant in Burlington. I hear there are some big bucks walking around there:way:

It's a long drive for you but worth it, since you are military you can get right in at the ammo plant in Burlington.

Is that the case for any military in IA? So if you're military you don't have to go through the "good ol boys" club or whatever it takes to get in there for the average guy? Yes you can get in the plant but can any military hunt it??

Hey.. welcome! You're in luck! Camp Dodge in Johnston is home to some big boys and you can hunt there.. Guy in my unit lives on base up there and saw some nice ones while bowhunting and I saw one in velvet out there this summer around 150".. I guess you have to shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck there and that cost my friend a real nice 8pt.. I drill up there once a month. You must have came from Ft Lewis? I MOB'd out of there for a deployment to Egypt a couple yrs ago.. anywho.. good luck!

Is that the case for any military in IA? So if you're military you don't have to go through the "good ol boys" club or whatever it takes to get in there for the average guy? Yes you can get in the plant but can any military hunt it??
No that's not true. I believe you have to actually work there to get preference. I would look at the public along the des moines river for something close. I killed three 170s on it when I lived over there.

Great site here. Go to scheels buy a sportsmans atlas. Look at the ground an hour south on thirtyfive. Your in.

First, welcome to the site and state! Great advice by gundog as well as others. I'll second heading south...lots of good public ground in Clarke and Decatur counties. Grab the atlas and head out shed hunting in the next month or so to get an idea of where to hunt this fall.

There are some good 3D shoots around the area about every weekend during the spring/summer. Check out the Iowa Bowhunter Assoc website for a listing of shoots. Check out the deer classic show coming up in february...tons of stuff and good place to meet people.

Violator Welcome to the state I think you will find it very welcoming and some nice deer to boot! you have some good advice so far. I too hunt only public land and have seen some real nice deer so I would second the Atlas and go from there. Also Des Moines has the urban hunt not sure how it works but gets you in the stand earlier. Good Luck!!

Hey.. welcome! You're in luck! Camp Dodge in Johnston is home to some big boys and you can hunt there.. Guy in my unit lives on base up there and saw some nice ones while bowhunting and I saw one in velvet out there this summer around 150".. I guess you have to shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck there and that cost my friend a real nice 8pt.. I drill up there once a month. You must have came from Ft Lewis? I MOB'd out of there for a deployment to Egypt a couple yrs ago.. anywho.. good luck!

What do you have to do to hunt on camp dodge? I too am in the military and drill in des moines once a month.

Violator Welcome to the state I think you will find it very welcoming and some nice deer to boot! you have some good advice so far. I too hunt only public land and have seen some real nice deer so I would second the Atlas and go from there. Also Des Moines has the urban hunt not sure how it works but gets you in the stand earlier. Good Luck!!

What do you have to do to hunt on camp dodge? I too am in the military and drill in des moines once a month.

I think you can get all that info at Range Control.. you have to check in there everyday before you hunt because they only let so many people hunt per day.. I would do it but I live a little too far away.... and I prefer to spend the least amount of time on camp dodge as possible.. haha. I know the land nav course like the back of my hand and saw some pretty good spots over there.. what unit do u drill with? I'm up at AMEDD

Top Bottom