Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New to area

dac

Hi new to the area and new to the board I relocated here from Ky about 5 months ago to reunite with my wife who relocated here for her job. I stayed behind to sell the house not a easy thing to do right now. We are currently living in the Cedar Rapids area and this will be my first season deer hunting IA. I mostly just bow hunt I have not gun hunted in about 12 years. I owned my own hunting land in KY so it has been quite some time since I hunted public land. My questions are how much pressure does public land get during bow season during the week? Is public hunting decent in this area are would I be better off to hunt other areas of the state. I would appreciate any tips or advice on hunting any of the public land around CR or elsewhere. Thanks Dave C

Welcome to the site and the great state of Iowa :grin:

I live about an hour and a half north of you and can tell you that we have some phenomenal state ground up here in NE Iowa. Volga recreational area is about 5500 acres in Fayette county and gets little pressure during archery season (especially during the week). Further north in Winneshiek county you have coon creek state game area which I believe is around 1800 acres and is wild country. Also very little pressure during bow season. There are some giant bucks that come out of both of these areas every year. If you put your time in and scout hard you could do well either spot. Do not be afraid to knock on doors and be friendly, you will be amazed how many people will let you on (despite what some on this site will tell you).

Sorry, not much familiarity with that area, just figured I would let you know the opportunities to the north. Good luck this fall, and welcome :way:

I agree with dedgeez, NE Iowa has some great public areas. Some do not see a bowhunter more than 3 or 4 times a year as far as I know. I am located near new hampton. A little further from the volga area but we have some great areas around here. Your best bet is to get out and drive and start knocking on doors. Pick a piece of property and then ask around. I mover here 5 years ago and just by knocking on doors and finding out who owned what I was able to secure alot of property. Now I have 2 timbers around 230 acres each that I lease and Have all to myself and have the freedom to plant Food plots and scout and practice QDM. Good genetics all over iowa. Good luck in your quest for an Iowa giant.

First off welcome to both IW and the great state of Iowa. I think you will find our residents generally great people. I am not from your area of the state but I have hunted public tracts off and on for almost 10 years. The prior two posters have given you solid insights. I think you will find that certain public tracts hunted during bow season (especially during the week) present solid opportunities for quality bucks. SE Iowa also has some large tracts of state land that I am sure could provide solid opportunities. As a wise long time member of IW states in his signature (not me), it comes down to the same general items; patience, persistance and perseverance.

Good luck and welcome again.

Last edited:
go to the county court house, and buy a plat book for the county u will be hunting. that will tell you who the landowners are. go to walmart and but a sportsmans atlas, that will show you all the public hunting ground.

good luck

Dac, some more items for you to consider once you have a tract of land. I dont not know the theories of kentucky on hunting whitetail but here are some ideas once you have a spot. Look for pinch points or crick crossings. I hunt 230 acres of crick bottom primarily and our best bucks have come from these 2 locations. There is also a natural ditch running through alot of the timber. See alot of bucks traveling these. If there is a crick running through the property you hunt, use it. The deer on my farm seem to follow it as a natural road map. Most big buck encounters have taken place within 30 yards of the crick edge. I also love inside corners. Keep these in mind when setting up., Might be things you already know but even NE Iowa hunting to South Iowa the terrain is different and the strategies change. Remember, deer are lazy by nature and will take the path of least resistance almost everytime. Good luck

welcome

how are you dac i am from nc but have lived here 3 years i dont hunt public ground but i have several friends that come up from nc that hunt it i live in se iowa van burne county there is some great public land around van burne ,jefferson counties alot of it is on the river you can access places by boat that must people want walk too some huge bucks on this river bottoms GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this was mentioned because I didn't read all the replies yet but have you considered looking into urban hunting? I believe Cedar Rapids is one of the cities in Iowa that allows it. Granted you may only be able to shoot does but if it is close to home it is still a lot of fun, and you are giving back to the city by keeping the population down. I have done some urban hunting over the years in Ames and had a lot of fun, plus the season opens up earlier. However once November hits I am always gonna be somewhere else looking for the big boy.

I should also mentions that there are some hoops you have to jump through to urban hunt, such as safety classes, proficiency test, etc.. but none are difficult at all.

I agree with dedgeez, NE Iowa has some great public areas. Some really big deer come out of that part of the STATE.

I grew up in that area, the further your get from CR the easier it will be to get permission on good ground. The public around Linn county gets hit very hard, not as bad on weekdays during bow season, but don't limit yourself by not hunting close to home. Some of the biggest bucks I've seen harvested came from just outside the city limits.

That being said whenever possible I was heading to the NE to get into some great areas, all the montioned are very good also check out the state forest around Backbone State Park. In my opinion northeast Iowa has some of the best scenery around and I still try to make it up there for at least a few days every fall, just now its a 4 hr drive instead of 90 min.

Top Bottom