Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New to Iowa...and this site

Bow Ben

Hi guys. My name is Ben and I just moved to Iowa from Michigan for a new job. I live about 20 miles north of the quad cities area. I am an avid bow hunter and I am looking for some property to bow hunt this fall. I am open to anywhere in southern or eastern Iowa even if I have to drive a couple hours to get there and hunt only on weekends. If anybody needs a hunting partner I am more than willing to hunt with others as well. I am a safe, responsible, and ethical hunter with a family(married with 2 young sons). I have taken my fair share of whitetails in Michigan but no big ones. I would really like to hunt some property with a real chance at one of those Iowa trophies I always hear about. I will abide by all rules you have on the property and you will never have a problem with me. I grew up on a dairy farm in MI so I know my way around a farm and can offer a farmer a bunch of free labor in exchange for hunting privelages. I know this may be a shot in the dark but I have no family or friends in Iowa so I thought I would give it a shot and try and make a friend or two. If anybody is interested please get a hold of me here or at nugerules at hotmail dot com. I look forward to hearing from some of you and sharing the woods this fall. Thanks for the great site!! :way:

Ben, I can't help you out with the hunting land, but someone else may step up to the plate! However, try knocking on a few doors, be polite, and ask for permission. I'm sure if you do some homework and talk to some landowners you'll find a quality property that you can hunt! Good luck and welcome to the state of Iowa and Iowawhitetail! Good luck this fall! :way:

Near Davenport......you might consider joining the Davenport Valley Archers and gaining some contacts through new friends. Also, membership with the Iowa Bowhunters Assn could also bring you some good contacts.:drink1:

Ben, I can't help you out with the hunting land, but someone else may step up to the plate! However, try knocking on a few doors, be polite, and ask for permission. I'm sure if you do some homework and talk to some landowners you'll find a quality property that you can hunt! Good luck and welcome to the state of Iowa and Iowawhitetail! Good luck this fall! :way:

Great advice right there! Welcome to Iowa Ben... :)

Welcome to the outfit.

wave.gif

20 miles north of the quad cities so you're pretty close to DeWitt area?

You don't need to do anything except start knocking on doors. I'd start looking on the back roads that get fairly close to the Wapsi River, you shold find some ground somewhere.

Ben. Welcome. All good advice above. Also, since you are around a higher populated area you may find if you search just a bit farther out than most people are willing to drive for an afternoon hunt there maybe some opportunities.

20 miles north of the quad cities so you're pretty close to DeWitt area?

You don't need to do anything except start knocking on doors. I'd start looking on the back roads that get fairly close to the Wapsi River, you shold find some ground somewhere.

Yes I am just south of Dewitt near Park View. Are there nice bucks taken in this area??

All good advice above. Also, if you express to a farmer/landowner that you're willing to take out some does, maybe even give them some processed meat out of it, you may even become their best friend. Slaughtering does, deer meat and walleye filets have been my best bartering tool over the years! Good luck to you and welcome to the site!

If you wanna drive alot farther than you need to,PM me and I've got spots you can hunt in Clayton County.

If you wanna drive alot farther than you need to,PM me and I've got spots you can hunt in Clayton County.

I drive 3 hours to hunt there every year Ben, I drive right by the big strawberry Captain! I've got great ground where I live but I have family in Clayton Co. in the Elkader, Garnavillo area and absolutely love hunting those rolling hills. Great hunting and LOOOOOTS of deer.

Ben,
Welcome to Iowa and the site.
You are in a pretty good area, a little flat for me but the Wapsi is a good start and you can move out from there. You can get maps of public land if you don't have much luck with the door knocking, and there is also the urban hunts. But I would go with the door knocking first, offer to help the land owner with what ever he needs help with and keep stopping out and lending a hand.

Top Bottom