Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New to Iowa

Dog, you definitely got it all wrong. Never said your herd couldn't be managed or that it was in bad shape. Nor was I bitching about any current law. Just relaying my thoughts. Sorry to offend you but I'm sure you'll get over it. You're definitely not even in the ballpark after reading your replies.

Hey guys I have a question for all those Iowaians that discourage non-res. hunting. What would all these farmers do without this alternate income from licienced outfitters who pay healthy lease prices for hunting ?? ANSWER : Housing developments.

All farming is the same no matter what state your from. If you can't make a living at it who is going to stay in that business. And it's a hard business at that. The goverment doesn't make it any easier to profit. Heck that's why there's C.R.P. everywhere. Land developers are always on the prowl looking for that farmer who has just about had it and wants to retire to a nice warm year round place. BOOM- housing development. Don't believe me. Take a trip out east here. Farmers are selling faster than I care to mention and houses are poping up like daiseys. I wish we had an alternative income for these farmers like hunting leases and no I don't think I would mind if it was " out of town " money keeping these farmes alive !!!

I firmly believe that hunting in Iowa is a win win situation for the non-res. hunter as well the the D.N.R., the farmer, the outfitter, the local economy etc.

Eightpoint

You seemed to have missed a major point. Nobody wants to move to Iowa just buy property here. There isn't a market for houses so there won't be housing developments in the middle of no where that will snatch up all the hunting ground. There aren't jobs and an economy to draw people here to live, just hunt.

Craig, I will definitely take you up on the beer if we draw this year. Staying in LuVerne I found that we had to go to Algona a few times just to get stuff from the local market. Not a whole lot going on down in Luverne.

PS Maybe you can get down to "Shoeless Joes" in LuVurne one night in November. That is if we draw.

What parts do you live in now?

Bowmaker, I don't wish to start a new debate here. Parts of Pa. were very much like the areas I hunt in Iowa now twenty years ago. Just because the " urban sprawl " hasn't effected you yet doesn't mean it won't in the future. You'd be amazed how fast an area can be built up with commercial ventures and then the housing follows. I hope you don't have to live through that and see your hunting ares black topped and turned into shopping malls.

Give your farmers the financial help to keep their land free from developers and if it takes out of staters to put that money in their pockets all the better for you. Non residents will come and go. You will likely live there all your life.

Eightpoint

Sorry, I got my tail twisted avout another thread. Certainly we can loose some ground to developers arround metro areas but the lease payments to farmers in SE Iowa are not what keeps them from selling out. Developers aren't looking for ground here because there aren't enough people with enough income to purchase large numbers of houses or populate huge malls. I don't believe that there is a single farmer who would say that the &1000 or $2000 they get from leasing would keep them afloat or prevent them from selling. That is all I meant to say.

NJWhit, I live about 10 miles NW of Des Moines. (maybe 80 - 90 miles south of LuVerne). I really liked rural Iowa, but the job opportunities are very limitted so I moved closer to the metro areal. LuVerne is in the SouthEast corner of Kossuth county, and where I used to live/hunt was in the NW corner (Seneca to the Minnesota line).

Those are some dandy bucks, that one almost looks like a unicorn. Hope you do manage to draw again this year, don't be afraid to drop me an e-mail. If I shoot a buck with a bow I probably will be driving past your area to hunt Canada geese.

I gotta sign off. Today I made 10 lbs of Kielbasa, 20 lbs of brats and 10 lbs of franks from deer. I still have to wrap some of it before I can call it a night.

IaCraig

Craig, the one buck you were referring to "IS" a unicorn. Has a completely seperate pedacle right between his beams. Took it to get scored and Boone and Crockett does not recognize 3 antlered deer. It's a completely seperate growth with hair all the way around the base with no part of left or right beam touching it. Had brought the scull plate down to be scored by B&C but they came to the conclusion that it officially had 3 antlers. Unofficial score was 156 though.

Have to admit that I didn't see much at all going on in LuVerne that's for sure. Would imagine that everyone probably has to go to Algona for anything even work. The ground that I hunt in is in Livermore. I got to say that being in the fast lane around here really makes me enjoy the quietness of being out in LuVerne. After hunting for 5 days in Illinois prior to coming to Iowa there was a point after hunting for 3 or 4 days that I easily could have just slept in it was so peaceful. It must look completely different in the summer though with all of the corn being up.

NJ

NJWhit,

FYI, if you want to I think you could open a lively thread if you entitle it "unicorn buck" and put the link to your picture out here along with a short story. (but if you sold it don't mention that part unless you want to re-open another controversal debate 75% nay and 25% yeah) Last year there was a pic of a unicorn buck posted out here, and as I recall it did not look nearly as nice as yours and it got lots of comments. I had never even seen one before that.

I have enjoyed our exchange on this thread and hope to see more comments from you on future posts.

IaCraig

Same here Craig. Hope to maybe hook up for a cold one in November if we draw.

Welcome. I was born in Iowa but was raised in Minneapolis. All of my family roots are in northwest Iowa. When work took me back to Iowa 19 months ago I fell in love with the state all over again. You'll get hooked quick if you like to hunt and enjoy good folk who do the same.

Also, if you like to eat it's so hard to resist some of the good ol' fashioned "steak and potatoes" places around here. No frills. Just good food at a reasonable price. I've had steak on the east cost and I don't miss the prices of dining out.

Top Bottom