Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New to the group

Ky deer Hunter

Hi I am new to group I live in far western Ky. I am putting in for a bow tag next year to hunt zone 4 or 5 or 6. I know it will be at least 4 years before I have a chance at a tag. But want to start gathering information now so I will be ready.We would be hunting public ground which zone should I focuses on ? Just trying to get a feel of the area as time gets closer I plan on taking trips there to scout . Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I'm no help with your question since I'm out of state also but I am sitting on 3 preference points that I hope to get a chance to use some year.

I'm in the northern parts of zone 4. I would get a list of public property in the zone you plan to hunt and start looking over google earth. Personally I wouldn't even mess with the big timber area. I would find small public areas with creek lines that connect to private timber or have private timber in the vicinity. I feel a lot of these pieces are overlooked because the mentality now is "find the biggest peice you can and go in as far as you can". You don't need a lot of timber to kill good deer around here. You need a plan. A lot of farm ponds and creeks in my area and odds are most public will have one going through it. Come November the bucks will use those creeks and draws to look for does. Oddly enough those same places are usually the ones that are vacant during archery season.

I'm in the northern parts of zone 4. I would get a list of public property in the zone you plan to hunt and start looking over google earth. Personally I wouldn't even mess with the big timber area. I would find small public areas with creek lines that connect to private timber or have private timber in the vicinity. I feel a lot of these pieces are overlooked because the mentality now is "find the biggest peice you can and go in as far as you can". You don't need a lot of timber to kill good deer around here. You need a plan. A lot of farm ponds and creeks in my area and odds are most public will have one going through it. Come November the bucks will use those creeks and draws to look for does. Oddly enough those same places are usually the ones that are vacant during archery season.
Thank you for the information.

Top Bottom