Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Year's Redemption

Slabman

2013 proved to be a tough season for me. My brother, and a close friend both shot bruisers with their bows. I struggled and never even got a shot off. I don't shotgun hunt so late muzzle is my gun season. I passed a fair amount of does hoping for a sighting of a buck. I saw a couple but not even close enough. After all of the holiday madness, I was going to do my best to fill a tag with some bone. I took my muzzle loader, bow, tripod, diddy bag, and chair. I was determined. New Year's day afternoon, I walked in to my spot along a ridge and came upon 3 does bedded in a ravine. Once I surveyed that no bucks were present I moved on. I came to the end of a lane I was on and slowed my pace. Down in the bottoms were two deer one bedded one browsing. BUCK! He was a 100" 8 pointer and he was going to be mine. I backed off a little, shed off my gear and slid down a wash to get closer. I used a big oak tree as cover and poked my gun around the other side. I just started counting the heads. I managed to sneak up on a group of bucks in their bedroom. Hammer back and waiting for a clean shot, I looked down. !!!!!! Big Buck! Bedded down and surveying the creek bottom. I pulled back and moved to the other side of the tree. Clear shot but still bedded. It may be against the Geneva Convention but took the shot. He jumped out of his bed and ran across the bottoms. All hell broke loose. About 10 to 15 bucks came busting out behind him. I couldn't believe it! I have not seen this many bucks in one spot in my 10 years of hunting. The big one stopped and stood for 5 minutes before I was able to climb back to the top, reload and shoot again.
First Spot and Stalk deer.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

143 and 6/8"

My brother told me there was some history with this buck and that he was most likely an older deer. I finally got a chance to skin him out today and he is by far the oldest I have harvested.
8.5+
Teeth on upper almost gone, teeth on lower severely worn, and even his incisors on lower were worn flat.

Top Bottom