Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Newbie lookin for tips

Youngblood

Ok so I am 18 years old and I am trying to get back time lost on hunting. Nobody in my family hunts and I havent found a mentor who wants to go as much or when I can go (anyone near ames?? :D ) Deer hunting and pheasant hunting have been incridible for me this year, so I decided to try out turkey. I have a box and slate calls. Im looking for any and all advice in using these, although this site is GREAT for all of that. Also, Im planning on just going out and setting up my blind and decoys the day of my hunt. Is that ok or should I put them up before? What time should i be out there? How late should I stay out before calling it quits? How often should I call? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Ill post some pics after I get my first on Saturday!!

Turkey hunting is not like deer as far as blinds go. With Turkey hunting you can set your blind up right in the middle of a field and start hunting as soon as you get it set up. Good luck to you

Ill post some pics after I get my first on Saturday!!

I like your style... :D

I see what time sunrise is and like to be set up and drinking coffee in the blind no later than and hour before sunrise (50 minutes max). People think I am crazy but have been pretty successful that way and try to tell people that are starting out you can take a nap but you can't make the sunrise wait... :D

Turkeys are oblivious to blinds. Set up in the middle of the field if you like. It won't bother them. Try to set up with the sun at your back if you can. Sunrise shining in the blind = bad. Not impossible but not ideal.

Calling: I have heard what I thought was the worst caller in the world and it ended up being a hen. Have confidence and if you sound remotely like a wild turkey you will be fine. Confidence is the key. Don't be scared to call when you need to, but don't act like your in the state calling contest either...

Tom mannerisms: If he is walkin toward ya... shut it... I can't tell you the number of people I have been with that insist on calling to a bird that is committed to the decoys. Drives me insane... Your going to do one of two things or both, make him strut and take longer to get there or make him nervous and suspicious. If I could call once or none at all that is what I would like to do.

If you are using a blind, place the decoys 5 to 10 steps from the blind. Many people make the mistake of placing the decoys 20 yards out and the bird hangs up another 30. 50 yard shots are not what you are looking for. Set em close to the blind and he hangs up at 30 he is roasted unless you are Thomas THA the III... :D

Patience: If there is one thing that saves more toms from being turkey nuggets it is people get antsy and want to move. If you are in a spot that they want to be they will get there sooner or later. Be patient and wait them out they will show up. If I move it is usually 5 or 6 hours into the sit.

Calm down: it is natural to get nervous when a bird is working close but if I had learned this earlier on in my turkey hunting career I would have been a happier camper and had better shots. Once the bird is in range, let him do his thing. Have fun with it. He isn't going anywhere, chances are he isn't going to fly away or run so fast you can't get a clean kill. Take your time, relax and follow through with the shot (whether it be gun or bow).

That is all I got for now... You'll be eating at the wafflehouse by 7 am... :way:

sSig_lol.gif
Great advice Limb. Advice I should have started taking long ago. Patience is my worst enemy sometimes.

sounds like good advise from limb, i also am limited where i can run and gun so i end up usually sitting all day in my blind, ive shot birds from 8 to 5 in the afternoon. like limb said they will come.. plus i love it when ive sat for about three hours with nothing and than call and one fires up real close.....cool, good luck and let me know how you do

turkey

Youngblood: Good luck to you, it is very encouraging to hear that you have taking up hunting even without a mentor! Hopefully there are more young men out there that have aspirations to take up the greatest sport on earth---hunting!!

Limb you are a great teacher. Are you a gym coach

No but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :D

Youngblood,
One last thing pay attention to the windows in your blind. Have them all shut with the exception of where you are shooting and make sure there is no light creeping in. I even go as far as covering up the hubs in my Darkhorse because I am so paranoid of them seeing movement and spooking. Wear black!

You have a lot of great tips you should start a thread and make it a sticky.

If he is walkin toward ya... shut it... I can't tell you the number of people I have been with that insist on calling to a bird that is committed to the decoys.

This one worked great for me this year.

i went out this morning.. i got settled in and probably 10 minutes i had my cousin whispering in my ear, TURKEY! i was so jacked and ready to roast a gobby. but it ended up being a hen. i was ok with that because what decoy is better than a live hen? she stuck around for an hour probably, eating her hearts desire but not calling at all. about 15 deer were hanging around as well, right under my deer stand :D I was calling about every 15 minutes, trading off my box and slate calls. Is that to much? there were definately some toms out there, but they would only answer once every forty five minutes or so. i stepped out for a pee break at 830 and disturbed a hen and a tom headed our way :( we left shortly after. What did i do wrong, besides have a small bladder? what other calls can i get to improve my chances? what time should i be out tomorrow afternoon? any other little tricks or tips out there?

i stepped out for a pee break at 830 and disturbed a hen and a tom headed our way

Patience: If there is one thing that saves more toms from being turkey nuggets it is people get antsy and want to move. If you are in a spot that they want to be they will get there sooner or later. Be patient and wait them out they will show up. If I move it is usually 5 or 6 hours into the sit.

You didn't follow the patience rule. You would have had turkey nuggets if you would have looked before you peed... :D I look out the windows then pee out the windows... :way:

Top Bottom