Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No Fawns

b0huntr147

Throughout this summer I have noticed that haven't gotten a single fawn picture even though I have had up to 3 different doe in one picture. I only hunt an 80 acre crop field so this really is a good piece for them to hang out on. Anybody have any issues like that or clues to what could be going on? Along with the does I have consistent pics of 5 different 1.5-3.5 year old bucks. Predator problems maybe?

Seems like every doe I see has twins. Spooked one with twins off the road this morning while out for a run. Coyotes finding them when they are tiny is all I can think of. Maybe try working on them a little when you aren't in the deer stand.

I have had the same problem. Finally got my first fawn pic this week. The problem is the coyotes. I am going to declare war on them this year. We need to shoot every coyote we see , even when we are deer hunting , even if it screws up your deer hunt. I don't think we realize how hard they are on are deer herd !:mad:

I haven't been getting a ton of fawn pics either. A few more have been showing up recently. Have been getting lots of coyote pics. One had a deer leg in its mouth in one photo. Had 6 coyotes in one picture as well. I feel sorry for the first coyote that walks by this fall, and the second, and the third...

I been getting alot of fawn pics in the last couple of weeks before that none.I think they travel less distance when there smaller.

I had 179 pics last week from one camera, mostly doe/fawn pairs, rare twins though. Probably lost a few to the tons of coyotes I'm getting on cams as well.

I've heard that late season stress has taken a toll on our fawn crop. Does just not getting the protein they need and guys running them all over the country. Do you hunt a high stress area?

I know I hunt low pressure areas and I have a lot of deer and a lot of fawns this year, but everyone around me pushes and will harvest anything that moves so the deer have naturally stayed on our farms now.

This is my first year hunting in this area so I'm not sure what the pressure will be like, I'm sure there is plenty of rifle hunters that get out. I only have permission for the bow season because somebody else rifle hunts it.

I have seen a fair amount of coyote tracks and scat every time I check cameras but I haven't gotten a pic of one yet but all the tracks and sign are in a different part of the field than I am hunting. I do plan to shoot at every yote that comes through during bow season and I'll have a squealer with me to bring them in if necessary. I need to talk to the landowner also because there is some excellent spots in the fence line to set up the snares.

I have multiple pictures of fawns- mostly all twins. Maybe some yotes getting to them or just happens to be a local buck running around shooting blanks in your area??

Coyotes are nabbing the fawns. I've been getting a ton of coyotes on camera. We tried the whole calling them in thing last year but they're too smart for that. We're going to war with them this year with traps. Can't wait to put a .22 in the head of one of them. I know you can never truly get rid of coyotes once they move in but I figure every little bit helps especially during fawning season.

I've heard that late season stress has taken a toll on our fawn crop. Does just not getting the protein they need and guys running them all over the country. Do you hunt a high stress area?

I know I hunt low pressure areas and I have a lot of deer and a lot of fawns this year, but everyone around me pushes and will harvest anything that moves so the deer have naturally stayed on our farms now.

I know coyotes will certainly get after the fawn crop, in years where we "have coyotes" we usually find a couple of fresh fawn skulls while mowing, etc. In years where the coyotes are thinned down pretty well, we seem not to find those same skulls.

But I really agree with the segment I bolded above...the now esrtwhile late, late season was really tough on the deer herd...even the ones that survived the bullets. FWIW, we are seeing average numbers of fawns this year.

Unfortunately for me, lots of mature does with no fawns has been the story for the last several years. I know some get lost to the hay mower as well. I never really gave the coyotes that much credit until I watched one chase a full size doe under my stand last fall. The yote sure acted like he was going to be able to take care of business if he caught up to her.

I have at least 3 doe with twins and one i believe to have triplets. My problem has been not a buck over 2 1/2 showing up. 3 baskets 8's and two - wide, skinny, not very tall 8's. I haven't seen a yote on cam yet but can hear them at dusk.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Top Bottom