Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No more "Mystery" he is a 12 & updated growth on others

skyleralan

PMA Member
Well, I left off on my last trail cam thread with a buck that was a "mystery". Pulled SD cards from cameras today and was excited to finally see this guy. He is a very nice true 12pt., but man, I can't think he is more than 4 years old. The only nerve racking thing besides deciding to shoot or pass him this year (of course if I even get the chance) is I am getting pictures of him on another camera about a quarter mile to the south, BUT this section is separated by a gravel road! So far I have got pictures of him around 7PM at this cam and the other. Also, a couple early morning shots of him at 5AM on this one. Just hope he stays away from the road (worried more about a poacher than getting hit by a car).

Regardless, he is a fun deer to look at, and was excited to get his pictures.
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

I was happy to get the "Mystery" buck photos then two days later I get my first shot of this absolute tank!
picture.php

Here is a photo I got at a crossing to a section of beans. Didn't get any better pictures of this guy. Looks to be a decent deer.

picture.php

Here are some updated shots of a buck that has added some inches. I knew he was mature on my last pull, but I have several bucks that seem WAY behind schedule. He won't score much, but has neat character and some real mass! This is also where "Mystery" buck has shown up a couple times. It is a timbered ridge that runs along a creek crossing that is heavily used due to a pond that has been flooded for duck habitat. It is about the only spot that isn't too wide or deep and they seem to really move through it. Hope during the rut it is a great funnel.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:
great bucks! I would agree that the 12 is a 4 year old, but there's no way i could pass on him if he gave me a shot!

If you think about it though, a 1/4 mile really isn't that far away. I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if you are in an area where he stands a good chance of making it through the season not getting shot by your family or neighbors, I'd let the 12 walk. He's got good size, but he doesn't have a lot of mass. That would be my only concern.

I knew he was a 12. He is a stud, if you pass on him he should be a giant next year. Not very many typical 12s running around anymore though

If you think about it though, a 1/4 mile really isn't that far away. I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if you are in an area where he stands a good chance of making it through the season not getting shot by your family or neighbors, I'd let the 12 walk. He's got good size, but he doesn't have a lot of mass. That would be my only concern.

I agree wholeheartedly. It isn't the distance like I mentioned, just that he is crossing the road that alarms me. I know exactly where he is crossing most likely. The creek that I mentioned above Snakes through our property under the bridge/road and then empties into a new constructed duck/habitat marsh pond.

He will get a pass for sure this year. I do think he could be something special. I will probably target the last buck that I posted (the narrow 8 pt with stickers/kickers off of his 2's).

Some absolute studs right there. I'd say that 12 is at least 4.5 and you could pass as clinically insane if you let him walk. He's mature, he's had a couple yrs to spread those genes now he needs an arrow.

Some absolute studs right there. I'd say that 12 is at least 4.5 and you could pass as clinically insane if you let him walk. He's mature, he's had a couple yrs to spread those genes now he needs an arrow.

LOL, but WHAT IF those g5's developed next year?!? I know, it will be hard to pass him.

I just want to see him from the stand once this year. I have had poor luck this past year in letting bucks walk (both deer I was after last season I let go another year and then this past year someone else shot them). So, although it worked letting them grow another year it hurts to know that with the added inches I wasn't the one to put my hands around their antlers!

That's a booner and I can't imagine letting him walk unless you have already put down numerous deer equal or bigger than him.

Awesome bucks! Good for you to let him go one more year. Those are the type of deer that I hope dont offer me a shot cause I woundnt have the discipline to let him go if given the chance. Good luck and hope he leaves his sheds for ya!

LOL, but WHAT IF those g5's developed next year?!? I know, it will be hard to pass him.

I just want to see him from the stand once this year. I have had poor luck this past year in letting bucks walk (both deer I was after last season I let go another year and then this past year someone else shot them). So, although it worked letting them grow another year it hurts to know that with the added inches I wasn't the one to put my hands around their antlers!

My point exactly, he very well may grow into a giant, but he may also contract EHD and die the following yr. Or in your case yet another big buck gets shot by the neighbor. Been there done that, so I know how ya feel. I just feel like way to many guys get caught up in the new fad of a mature deer doesn't reach its full potential till 5.5. This may be true, and I'd agree with the statement however logic and my own common sense takes over and tells me unless I own1000 passing a deer of your caliber is just out of the question. Just my opinion however, great deer non the less and if you do hold out and he makes it, wopper for sure! :way:

Everybody says over and over again, especially in the case of a more average deer, shoot it if its a trophy to YOU! Although most of couldn't fathom passing a buck like that, probably more because of the "what if" than anything, it already appears that he is not quite the trophy you really want. So huge kudos to you if you can stick to your guns and pass him if given the chance. And know that you have a lot of people routing for you that he will make it to next year. Thanks for sharing!

My point exactly, he very well may grow into a giant, but he may also contract EHD and die the following yr. Or in your case yet another big buck gets shot by the neighbor. Been there done that, so I know how ya feel. I just feel like way to many guys get caught up in the new fad of a mature deer doesn't reach its full potential till 5.5. This may be true, and I'd agree with the statement however logic and my own common sense takes over and tells me unless I own1000 passing a deer of your caliber is just out of the question. Just my opinion however, great deer non the less and if you do hold out and he makes it, wopper for sure! :way:

I totally understand completely and part of it will depend on how the season goes and plays out. It all depends on the situations. Regardless of how it plays out, just having pictures of this guy is special enough.

This is the 1st perfect 12 that I have EVER had on our farm (640 acres). Deer like this sorta tear you up. One more year regardless of what his age is I believe would make him a buck of MANY lifetimes. On the flip-side, say you are lucky enough to have an encounter with him and you take him. Isn't there a part of you that might wonder, what if even if you are the guy who gets him. No question, I have had a spell of bad luck with bucks getting passed only to get shot or killed by others.

Last edited:
Awesome bucks! Good for you to let him go one more year. Those are the type of deer that I hope dont offer me a shot cause I woundnt have the discipline to let him go if given the chance. Good luck and hope he leaves his sheds for ya!

LOL, I haven't had a chance to pass him yet either!

Top Bottom