Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No-Till Drills and Equipment

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Just got a 45 hp JD 4wd with Catagory 1&2 3 pt. I have no clue about equipment, I did just read through an earlier post on equipment needs.
I'll start this one item at a time though....

I was considering getting a Drill, I saw some for $1,500 that had both a grain seed AND grass seed. Basically, for food plots only, can I indeed find one that would drill in grasses, clovers, alf-alfa as well as corn/beans???? I figure if I could do that I could also drill in CIR seed (not the fluffy seeds though). I would think for food plots I'd want tight spacing (clover & alf-alfa). Would you consider a drill, what would you recommend.

Other thoughts....

*Found a 4 row PLANTER, IH 400 for $100 in Des moines BUT figure if I get a drill I might not need that.

**Getting a rotary tiller as well (for really nasty ground) even though I'd have a drill- seems like corn sometimes doesn't do as well when you only drill, do you think I'd need a rotary tiller?

***Getting a big seed and fertilizer spreader, rotary mower, cultipacker IF NEEDED, sprayer (might just keep using the one I have for my 4-wheeler). What else would you suggest? THANKS!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got a 45 hp JD 4wd with Catagory 1&2 3 pt. I have no clue about equipment, I did just read through an earlier post on equipment needs.
I'll start this one item at a time though....

I was considering getting a Drill, I saw some for $1,500 that had both a grain seed AND grass seed. Basically, for food plots only, can I indeed find one that would drill in grasses, clovers, alf-alfa as well as corn/beans???? I figure if I could do that I could also drill in CIR seed (not the fluffy seeds though). I would think for food plots I'd want tight spacing (clover & alf-alfa). Would you consider a drill, what would you recommend.

Other thoughts....

*Found a 4 row PLANTER, IH 400 for $100 in Des moines BUT figure if I get a drill I might not need that.

**Getting a rotary tiller as well (for really nasty ground) even though I'd have a drill- seems like corn sometimes doesn't do as well when you only drill, do you think I'd need a rotary tiller?

***Getting a big seed and fertilizer spreader, rotary mower, cultipacker IF NEEDED, sprayer (might just keep using the one I have for my 4-wheeler). What else would you suggest? THANKS!!!
</div></div>

A grain drill will work for most seeds when planting into tilled ground. You can plant corn with them by plugging some of the holes.

Depending on the drill they almost all have a small seed box for alfalfa/clover/brassica type seed and then a large seed box for oats, rye and wheat. Most should also plant soys and peas but they may plug some or "grind" seed if not made for that.

The ultimate is the Truax Rangeland no-till drill which plants everything anywhere for a mere 15 grand... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

A used corn planter will work a whole lot better then a drill for corn.

A tiller and cultipacker should be first on your list, then a hopper spreader for fertlizer and seed is actually all I use rather then a drill.

Shop around for a 3 pt or pull type sprayer eventually...lot better then the little ATV style.

Give me your checkbook Skip and...I'll go shopping for you! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Ok Paul, my credit card # is: 1234567891101234, expires 12/34, it's a Iowawhitetail.com card, you'll be fine.

I guess I am going to buy a tiller, cultipacker, spreader, sprayer and planter. I did find a IH 400- 4 row planter for $100 a mile from my home. It needs about $150 worth of work to be in "good shape" to plant. How do you plant corn and beans, do you broadcast and cultipack OR do you use a planter? I think I could go without a drill for a while or permenantly PLUS if i wanted to drill Native Grasses I can rent a special drill from Keo for $8 an acre. If you think of anything else I need let me know OR just put it on my card, thanks much!

I use a JD 7000 no-till corn planter for corn and have used it for soybeans as well.

JD7000.jpg

Other then corn, you can use (as I do) a 3 pt spreader for just about everything you want to plant except fluffy seeds and corn. It would broadcast corn but I don't like trampling corn when it's time to spray, soybeans can take it.

3ptseeder.jpg

I like them because you can use them to spread fertlizer and lime and they are easy to hookup and clean and did I mention cheap /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Plantingcrew.jpg

The no-till drill at keo also works great if you have any amount of seed to plant. I just don't like monkeying aroundgoing to town, hooking up, hauling it home and back but...

it's no-till and that can save a lot of other field work and for 8 bucks an acre...can't beat that!

C-mon...let the moths outa your wallet and go shopping! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Found some drills on Tractorhouse.com that some buddies could pick up for me in Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, etc. I do have a planter and will get a spreader BUT if I can get a good drill for $1,500-2,200 like they were advertised, seems fine and I'm gonna get one.

I don't know a dang thing about these. What do I want to make sure of? BOTH- Grains and grasses correct. Double disk or single disk?
Probably 10' since I have 45 hp, could I do more? AND narrow row spacing, around 7.5"? What else do I need to ask or require, here's some for sale.... These are NO-TILL drills right? **This may be where I am missing the boat, they are listed as "DRILLS" but take a look and am I missing the No-till part WHICH IS WHAT I WANT- NO TILL DRILL!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ?????
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...1E89541FEC0F3322F62&Pref=0&Thumbs=1&scf=false Drills for sale

Sorry but those are conventional grain drills... You must till first. A small used junk no till will start about 4K.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Top Bottom