Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No TILL

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
I am planting a clover chicory mix in a little corner of a cornfield. It 6-7 rows wide and about 60 yards long. It will work great, But anyhow I have no way to till it. IT was plowed this spring and has no weeds but... How should I work up the groud?

Heck, I've had gardens bigger than that. You should be able to turn that over with a shovel!
grin.gif

First option is discing, but I gather you don't have access to a disc. Second option is a harrow or drag, again, guessing lack of access.

I don't think you really have to till it, if it is weed free. For just a food plot, it doesn't have to be smooth like a garden. The deer don't care. Clover (I don't know about chicory) is a small enough seed that it will fall into little cracks as you broadcast it. One of the bigger problems with clover is the tendancy to plant too deep. If the field is heavily crusted, you might be able to drag a hog/cattle panel over it with your pick up and a log chain to try to stir it up a little before seeding. Strap a railroad tie/s on top of the hog panel in the middle or towards the back to add weight while not causing the front of the panel to dig in. If you don't have a hog panel, be creative. Look for a mattress spring, an old spool of woven wire sitting somewhere rusting, a section of chain link fence, you get the idea.

Years ago I build a mini drag section out of angle iron and re-bar to pull behind a riding mower or atv.
Take 12' of 3-4" angle, cut it into 4' qt2 and 2' qt2. Weld then in a rectangle. Cut a lot of 7-8" peices of re-bar (or round bar stock) and weld them place as teeth that will enguage the ground.

Spray and mow SHORT (or spray and burn). Then pull the drag around till you have loose soil on top (in dry conditions). Seed and re-drag lightly.

You can weld some exta iron in the center of the rectangle to support weight if you need to add rocks,blocks, ect...

It's pretty easy to do if you access to a welder and a chop saw. If you tip the 4' sections of angle a bit before welding, the teeth will slope slightly to the rear. This will help keep them from building up with trash (round bar stock will work slightly better than re-bar). You can also flop the section over and use the smooth side for leveling. Works pretty well for a plot like you described. If your passing thru the Iowa City area, I have one you can borrow. I'll have to locate it, it's somewhere...

Jody

[ QUOTE ]
Heck, I've had gardens bigger than that. You should be able to turn that over with a shovel!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

give me a break man I am just trying to be cool like you guys. My plan is my buck is gunna walk this route anyhow. So when I shoot him I can say that I shot him over my first food plot. You wait. Check out the PMA harvest forum about 2 weeks into october................
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom