Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non-browse shrub selection

ryang

Were in a high deer density area (along with plenty of girdling rabbits). Looking for a thick bedding area shrub to compliment the red cedar. Must be a "native" species as per WRP contract. Considered Redosier Dogwood and Nannyberry.........but I'm afraid they'll be eaten before they can get established. We've used photo-degradable tree tubes in the past but I'd rather not have to go that route and fencing each and every one isn't an option. Any suggestions to along with the Eastern Red Cedar??
Thanks guys

Most of the dogwoods, nannyberries, wild plums and such if planted in numbers should do well. I have a bazillion rabbits and they have never killed any shrubs although they do girdle them, they always come back from the roots.

Deer cause them more harm via rubbing in the fall then they do browsing and I have a very high deer density.

The biggest thing is to select shrubs for your soil type (moist, dry, clay, sand etc.) so that they will thrive and grow quickly. If they struggle then they are susceptable to damage from wildlife causing increased mortality.

I thik the plums, highbush cranberries and nannyberries would be less palatable to deer then dogwoods but none of mine have been browsed...that's all I can say... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom