Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non-Res Deer Hunting Questions.

Diggdug

Well I just purchased my first peice of Iowa hunting land in the S/E part of the state.

I have a few questions about laws pertaining to non-resident deer hunting that I can't find answers to on the DNR website.

1. How much land is required to get a non-res land owner doe permit?
2. If I get said permit, will it use up my preference points?
3. Can I party hunt with my wife if she gets a shotgun season permit for next fall?
4. Is it harder to get drawn for the 1st shotgun season that the 2nd?

I plan on bowhunting only but my wife would like to gun hunt every season. (Yes, she really hunts)

Thanks!

1. I'm not certain but I think 2 or more contiguous acres.
2. You will not use up your pref points if you receive a doe tag.
3. You can use your wife's tag if you are hunting together.
4. I don't know about shotgun 1 when compared to shotgun 2 but shotgun tags are easier to draw than an archery permit.

Last edited:
Couple of comments. You can only use a landowner tag on the land you own, so if that's two acres you can only hunt on those two acres. If you are bowhunting only you cannot hunt the shotgun seasons, bows are not a permitted weapon. Landowner tags are season specific so if you did get a tag for one of the shotgun seasons to hunt with your wife that tag would only be good for that season and you would only be able to hunt with her on your land.

Thanks guys. I would assume the first shotgun season is harder to get a tag for than the second but cant find any hard numbers on what the chances are?

So whould I have to get a Doe permit to hunt on my wifes any deer tag? If not, what permits would I need?

So whould I have to get a Doe permit to hunt on my wifes any deer tag? If not, what permits would I need?

First of all if your wife really does hunt why would you want to fill her tag? Why not allow her to fill her own tag, after all don't you hunt to fill your tag. Also you do understand that you can't hunt on her tag whether you have a doe tag or not, you can only party hunt during the same shotgun season with a shotgun (not a bow) and that she must tag any buck within 15 minutes or before moving it in any way so she must be hunting also. Not meaning to bash you or anything, just to make sure you are aware of the situation.:way:

OK, so I am party hunting with my wife and say I am doing a one man push to her stand. A shooter stands up from his bed, I have already filled my Doe permit and I drop him with my SLUG GUN, am I legal?

Diggdug said:
OK, so I am party hunting with my wife and say I am doing a one man push to her stand. A shooter stands up from his bed, I have already filled my Doe permit and I drop him with my SLUG GUN, am I legal?

Yes, as long as she can get her tag on it within 15 minutes.

NR

Not sure how many acres you have but you could consider slug hunting with a resident (who is willing to party hunt with his/her buck tag). In exchange allow them to watch over property and bow hunt etc...nice trade off.

YEP that will happen because there is a SHOOTER behind every tree in IOWA!:drink1:

Everyone's definition of a shooter is different! Have hunted Iowa several times now, havent had a problem seeing shooters.

Top Bottom