Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non-Resident info

hayseed

I have been searching the Iowa DNR website and can't find any specific info on the application process. Specifically, I am looking for info on preference points and the process. When I had obtained preference points for Colorado, you could accumulate points until ready to get a license and you could determine when you wanted it if you had enough points. I mean if you needed a minimum of, say 5 points, you could just keep accumulating points, past 5, but not get a license until you were ready. You paid the full fee for the tag plus a processing fee. If you indicated you just wanted a prefernce point, your tag fee was later returned, minus the processing fee. Is that how it works in Iowa?

Here is a link...

There is a lot of information in .pdf files at the bottom of the page for non-resident deer hunting.

IDNR

Ghost, that is exactly what I printed off and I didn't see anything telling me about preference points or anything. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are...read about preference points at the bottom of page 5.
waytogo.gif

I would copy and paste but it is a .pdf file.

I believe this is what Ghost was referring too.

PREFERENCE POINTS
Hunters who choose not to apply for Any-deer/Antlerless-only combination licenses in 2007 may purchase
one preference point that will improve their chance of getting a license in a future year. Preference points may only be purchased May 5 - June 3. Preference points cost $10 plus application fees and will be available online or through the telephone ordering system. Preference points purchased in
this manner will be handled the same as preference points obtained by hunters who are unsuccessful in the drawing.
Hunters unsuccessful in the Any-deer/Antlerless-only combination license drawing will be given one preference point in addition to any preference point(s) assigned from a
previous year(s). Preference points will not accrue in a year in which you fail to apply or purchase a preference point, but you will retain any preference points previously earned. Once you receive an Any-deer/Antlerless-only combination license,
your preference point(s) will be eliminated. (You will not lose
preference points by purchasing an optional Antlerless-only
license). You may use your preference points in any zone or season the next time you apply. Preference points will not apply to Antlerless-only licenses.

FYI - The IADNR doesn't list the people that apply for a preference point on the NR drawing results page. The people you see listed are only those that applied for a NR tag.

Thanks for the info. Is there any lace on the DNR site that tells how many preference points are needed for the specific zones?

there arent a set number of points for each zone. just depends on how many people apply for that zone. I know for zone 9 we usually drew every other year for 1st season buck tags, but my dad drew two years in a row this year, meaning less people probably applied. I drew zone 9 for bow with 2 points, although some needed 3 to draw. Just depends on how many apply in each zone.

Top Bottom