Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non-Resident Party Hunting

crietveld

With the DNR issueing most of the non resident antlerless tags for gun season this year, how many of you know of non residents party hunting with a doe tag that harvested a buck that a resident tagged for them? I am not trying to stir anything up, I believe the DNR should know how many bucks are harvested this way. I personaly know of a group of neighbors that have friends from out of state that took home a 160 and 130 class deer.

I don't think it is terribly common but it happens. I know for one I tried to find a group that would allow me to trade the oppotunity to shoot a buck and tag it in exhange for my non-resident tag and I couldn't find anyone willing to do it.

It's perfectly legal but how many people do you really know that would be willing to do it? That's why I don't think it is very common.

I'll stir the pot.

I bet when it happens, it is usually an outfitter or someone selling a lease providing the tag.

throwingasonfire.jpg

I know a few guys from MN that just discovered this. The farmer that lets them hunt his property said him and his wife would be willing to do this for them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Other than this situation I cant see very many people very willing to do it. UNLESS there was $$ involved.

it would be a great way for kids to make extra money. to go sit in the blind with an out of stater and when he shoots a buck he can put the kids tag on it because non residents land owners get first chance at the nr doe tags.heck i dont gun hunt so i could sit with them in exchange for them letting me kill one buck a year off of there property.
sound like a good idea that works for both of us.

just a theory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jclaws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wonder what i could sell it on ebay for.

and everything would be legit </div></div>

You can't legally sell your license but you could offer to "party hunt" with the highest bidder..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a few guys from MN that just discovered this. The farmer that lets them hunt his property said him and his wife would be willing to do this for them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Other than this situation I cant see very many people very willing to do it. UNLESS there was $$ involved.</div></div>

There are alot of people in Iowa that would do it, not that many people hunt but everyone knows a hunter...

It is a bad loop hole but it is legal - only if the person is hunting with you. You think that guy's wife goes out with them boys from MN?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

If she does I bet they are doing more than just hunting!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'll sell a buck tag for gun season!!!!!!!!!!

Not going to lie, I bet I could get enough out of it to purchase a few more stands, or something else for Bow season!!!

let the bidding start. Hell for and extra hunde, I'll even film ya filling it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If you are truly serious about selling your buck tags for money you're only exploiting the sport. Would you really feel ethical when a guy from Wisconsin shoots a 2 yr old on your property and you have to put your tag on that?? Pathetic.

Point of clarificarion, it is my understanding that NR land owner antlerltess tags DO NOT come out of the NR antlerless quota. They are in addition to the NR antlerless quota. Its not really a first chance thing, it is a guaranteed thing.

There are many permutations of how an NR with an antlerless tag can party hunt and kill a buck and keep it. One legal, the rest not so much.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brew Crew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are truly serious about selling your buck tags for money you're only exploiting the sport. Would you really feel ethical when a guy from Wisconsin shoots a 2 yr old on your property and you have to put your tag on that?? Pathetic. </div></div>

Guess your right. Thatis a lot different than the residents trespassing onto my property and shooting the 2 year olds!

Also, I said I would sell my tag, never said we would hunt my land! Many people with the money it would cost them to get my tag own their own land.

Lemme ask you. If I guy offered you 1000 acres of prime land to bow hunt each year in exchange for you giving up a gun tag, would you consider it? I suppose exploiting hunting to better myself is wrong but who is to say what is truly right or wrong.

P.S. this year, I shot a 2 year old with my tag! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lemme ask you. If I guy offered you 1000 acres of prime land to bow hunt each year in exchange for you giving up a gun tag, would you consider it? I suppose exploiting hunting to better myself is wrong but who is to say what is truly right or wrong.

P.S. this year, I shot a 2 year old with my tag! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

I didn't say it was wrong because technically it is legal. The main problem with this though (which I guess I shouldn't have jumped off the hook on someone who actually is going to go hunting with the guy) is that residents who do not even hunt are buying tags and handing them over to NR with doe tags so that they can shoot a buck.. We all know full well that happens, a lot. And the NR's don't ever even consider filling their own tag they are just here for the buck.

Another problem is that if this idea catches on then you will basically be outfitting out-of-staters each year with your gun tag. And we have debated before about why we don't need an increase in outfitters taking over Iowa and yaddayaddayadda.

I just don't like the whole idea of it and is it even legal to actually sell your tag?? Since your tag cannot be in the possession of another hunter wouldn't the fact that the other hunter has technically purchased it then it would be one his possessions, right? Probably no real law against it though. Legal mumbojumbo.

As for me though, I would never give up my gun tag to a NR, not even if they were a close friend. I would tell them they should be like every NR that goes through the lottery and draw one for themselves. It would be greedy of them to offer me a 1000acres to bow hunt in exchange for a gun tag and it would be greedy of me to accept. But I guess it is even more greedy of me to keep my gun tag and hunt my properties that I am not binded into any contract with the landowners. I have plenty of good property to hunt though so maybe it would be different for some people. I would feel sorry for them to have to commit to something like that in order to hunt. And I wouldn't call it bettering yourself to hunt that property because then you will only have one buck tag to fill instead of two....

The fact that as a resident we have two buck tags is a blessing!! And I take it serious trying to fill them during early bow and late bow/muzzleloader season and could never imagine not being able to hunt a buck in the late season. What would I do over Xmas break?? Shoot does and yotes I guess... But we know thats not the same.

alot of people wouldnt, but if you dont hunt late season anyway i bet you could get good money to go sit in there blind on there property for a week.
it would take alot to sit with some of them though.

It was just an idea for thought. The truthis, many people are doing it. I agree with that, and it is sad, but we will never stop people from "non res" from believing that you walk into iowa and simply shoot a monster buck! Way to many shows and magazines covering that stuff. Would I actually do it, I dunno, but I can tell you after this season I am sure more likely to do so!! And that has to do with Residents, has nothing to do with no residents. Hell after this years gun season(I was made at the moment) if there would have been a way to kill every whitetail in the state I would have gladly done it! No deer is worth my life. So if I could get out of that situation and put some coin in my pocket, then I would consider doing that!

Whether it be bad or good, I honestly don't care that much about shooting a gun deer! I love to hunt, so I partake, and will try late muzz next year, but for me, I love oct till nov and then it can be done! That is how I feel now! And just my opinion. I would never lobby to take any season away in Iowa, but hey, if I could help a friend, or leagally gain finanicailly by giving up something that doesn't hugely effect me or anyone else, then why not!

THA$ Nobody would want your crappy tag anyways! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

As long as we keep talking and seeing shows about how wonderful Iowa is for deer, we are going to keep seeing more push for non res, and more illegal activity! So I guess to each their own! Do I think it sucks? Yup! Am I an IBA member? Yup! Do I donate and spend money at Charity's? YUP! Does The IBA Raffle a govenor's tag? Yup! (I think) All comes down to who you are and what you feel is right!! Long live Iowa, and Iowa GIANT whitetails!!!

Could we consider this topic a 'personal preference' and put it in the category like "selling sheds" and say everyone has their own preference and there is no really right or wrong?? Or is there really more to this??

I guess I don't gun hunt, so I have no preference, just listening in on an informative topic...

If a guy offered me 1000 acres to exclusively bowhunt if I'd party hunt so he could tag a buck with my either sex tag? I can't say for sure if I'd say no to that. I would try to buy 50 of the best acres off him and put some nice food plots on it and then have a landowner bow tag to go with my statewide! Then, in that perfect case, you betcha I would!

So many if, and, or buts in such a topic.

Top Bottom