Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non-resident w/o tag help retrieve game?

Jorda285

Hi guys,

I live in Iowa and am a resident. I have not done this but it may happen in the future if legal. Say I were to shoot a deer and I have a tag. Can a non-resident w/o a tag help me blood trail that deer and remove it from the field? Thanks!

I would check with the DNR. There is a difference between observing a hunt (no license needed/camera man) and participating in the hunt (need a license). It seems common sense but I think the gray area would be when he helps trail on his own/drag the animal out which I would think the hunt would be over at that point but I am not certain. Sure seems like common sense but that is long gone these days.

I would happily take a ticket for helping a buddy blood trail a deer if the officer wanted to write me one.

I think it would also depend on the CO that you would have to deal with if the situation arose. If you get one that is understanding and laid back, I'm sure a verbal warning would be the worst you would get. On the other hand, catch one on a bad day and...

I would happily take a ticket for helping a buddy blood trail a deer if the officer wanted to write me one.

Agree!!!

I am sure i would end up with a few other tickets after i told him everything that came to my mind while he was writing my ticket! :moon:

I would think that if a CO was to check you while tracking/dragging in this scenario and also checked your NR companion and discovered he/she did not have tag/license they would rake you over the coals trying to discover who in fact shot the deer. Just sayin.

I've actually wondered about the "participating" factor as well, when it comes to having someone along with you to observe. A previous post would seem to say that if they are just observing, then they don't need a license. I'm wondering about times that the "observer" might actually help spot the game for the "hunter" (even tho they don't have a weapon, such as in the case of a cameraperson or just sitting with the hunter). In the case of a drive, I'm thinking it would be obvious "participation" if the "observer" was walking a distance away from the "hunter", basically helping to drive the deer, even if not armed. But if they are walking right next to the "hunter", is that "participation"? I'm not sure on the bloodtrailing, but is the hunt technically over if the game hasn't been found? It could be a wounded animal that still requires a shot to put it down, so you would still be hunting, correct?

I would think that if a CO was to check you while tracking/dragging in this scenario and also checked your NR companion and discovered he/she did not have tag/license they would rake you over the coals trying to discover who in fact shot the deer. Just sayin.

I really doubt that. Unless of course the NR was camoed up & carrying a bow. Most COs I've met really are good guys if you give them half a chance to be. If you start with the attitude that they are going to be an ash-hole they are likely to live up to your expectations.

“Hunting” means any pursuing, hunting, killing,
trapping, snaring, netting, searching for or
shooting at, stalking or lying in wait for any game,
animal, bird or fish protected by the state laws or
rules adopted by the commission whether or not
such animal is captured, killed or injured.

I really doubt that. Unless of course the NR was camoed up & carrying a bow. Most COs I've met really are good guys if you give them half a chance to be. If you start with the attitude that they are going to be an ash-hole they are likely to live up to your expectations.

Not saying I think COs are a-holes. In fact I have never had a problem with anyone that I have ever had dealing with, including my local that even gave me a citation once. I run inot him on a regular basis as we both frequent the same marsh.
What I am saying that most I have met are by the book and non-bow hunting residents tagging bucks for NR bow-hunting friends is not unheard of.

I guess I've broken the law when I've had non hunting friends help me drag deer up hill for quarter mile and help lift it into the back of my truck. Shame on me I guess.

Strange rule? My dad helps me track in MN, he doesn't have a license, not an issue here, I don't think?

I've actually wondered about the "participating" factor as well, when it comes to having someone along with you to observe. In the case of a drive, I'm thinking it would be obvious "participation" if the "observer" was walking a distance away from the "hunter", basically helping to drive the deer, even if not armed.
Our good friend Daryl Kempher phoned from Michigan. He had some time off work and wanted to come look for shed antlers. That same day, Barry’s oldest son, Jason, a teacher and coach from Milwaukee, arrived ready for active duty. Jason had drawn an Iowa tag but only got to hunt a few days in November due to his work schedule.
Daryl’s presence in the area while he looked for sheds could help or hinder the situation. If he was walking the outside property line far upwind, his human odor might drift down into the bedding areas. We got out aerial photos and showed Daryl exactly where he could search for antlers and where we didn’t want him walking.
http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/woody.html

It appears that some people can pull it off.

Top Bottom