Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non Typical Hunting Areas

Iowaide

Due to the wonderful southeast wind tonight ruining my plans for hunting from my hunting area my hunting partner and I took our annual trip to the land of big and plenty the SE corner of Monroe County. This area happens to contain probably what is some of the best habitat in the world for whitetails. Sorry to let out such an already known secret. My question is in regards to all the articles you read about deer and food sources. It seems that I finally figured out why all the articles about finding the food sources and hunting them makes sense. It is intended for people who hunt where there is more timber than food sources. Where I hunt is like 80% cropland and then fields. Down there 80% timber and crp and then food plots or strategically located unharvested corn fields. We saw more nice bucks in a one hour drive then most people see in a year. Does anyone think there is a market for a magazine centered around the average hunter where there are more hunters in the area then P&Y bucks? It's really kind of depressing but the info centered more towards high pressure limited access deer would probably be more benificial for all of us. Let me know what you think? I am going to try to contact Jay Strangis Editor of Petersen's Whitetail Bowhunting to see if there is any opportunities for focusing a little more on this type of hunting for the average hunter. BTW we did drive by Larry Zach's property as well as Bill Winkes no wonder you both are blessed with great talents!

i agree. fill me in on how to kill deer that have been dodging cars along the highway and hiding from d.o.t workers doing surveys for highways, and kids riding 4 wheelers, and my grandpa cutting firewood!!! its kind of hard to find out where a deer beds when he finds a new bed every other day. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sofakingfast_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree. fill me in on how to kill deer that have been dodging cars along the highway and hiding from d.o.t workers doing surveys for highways, and kids riding 4 wheelers, and my grandpa cutting firewood!!! its kind of hard to find out where a deer beds when he finds a new bed every other day. lol </div></div>Are you hunting the same place as me! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I think there is a great market for it. I would love to read more stories about the average hunter who isn't blessed with 3000 acres of managed land. I have bucks On my wall that are far from big, but were much greater achievements for me personally due to the situations surrounding the harvest...public ground, swamp, high pressure, traditional gear, etc..

If you can get it done in these types of situations consistantly you are on to something. Any knuckle-head can slam a PY caliber animal on a guided ranch type hunt or a large mananged tract.

Just my 2 cents

I believe Jon Eberhart(sp?) and Greg Millers early stuff is focused toward these types of hunts. They make for good reading.

Top Bottom