Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident deer license increase proposed

I have a great solution, why don't we help the states that have "little " deer, manage the pop. so they too can have "Iowa" like deer and then maybe less people would feel the need to hunt in other states.
rambo.gif

Bowmaker,
Very glad to hear that you are able to enjoy my State also. We, for the most part cannot offer the kind of awesome trophy bowhunting that you guys have, but we welcome you to enjoy spring Turkey hunting second to none. If you are up for a challenge, try an Ozark mountain hunt sometime. Beautiful scenery, loads of public ground, and solitude! Just dont show up out of shape!
Merry Christmas
Tom

Dittos gritty-

I am also from WI and have hunted in Iowa since 91'. I would rather draw only once every 2 to 3 years to keep the quality the same. Many people do not realize this but up until the last 2 to 3 years NR were only allowed 4 people per application and now you can have up to 15. This is a bone the former liberal govenor through the outfitters to win a little support last fall. To bad it didn't work. Time to get it back to 4 again. If you take away an outfitters guarenteed revenue that he uses to pay for leases, they will get run out of buisness and out of our hair in short order.

I wish I could have the same hunting experience in WI I get in Iowa but in my arae it is impossible to even find land to lease let alone get permission for free and the land for sale is usually crap.

I don't want to see this happen to Iowa- The people we encounter each year would give the shirt off their backs and I fear thier attitude toward outsiders would change in a hurry if they had to deal with people that hunted to make a living.

Everyone have a great Christmas!

P.S. Check out the Spring brook State park thread. Thats my boy hanging onto those horns.

WI Shedhead

Kansas.....you must stop with your logical comments. Then we wouldn't have NRs paying ridiculous prices for our deer. Also, that would take too much work and time. Why do that when they can go to any state, lease land, and hunt deer that are already big, and bitch at the residents of the state who helped manage those deer so they could get so big?!

Shedhead and Gritty,

Other non-residents enlist the services of outfitters for the same reasons you all come to Iowa to hunt...to have a quality hunting experience that they can not find in their own state. They go with outfitters to avoid some of the problems you all are finding, namely increased competition to hunt public and private lands. It sounds like you guys live close to Iowa and are able to spend time looking for places to hunt and are able to scout in advance. That is great but there are a lot of folks who live too far away to do so. That is one of many reasons why they hunt with an outfitter. There is a misconception that leasing is being done exclusively by outfitters. A recent survey by Dr. Dave Samuel showed that the majority of leasing in Illinois was being done by Illinois residents so that they could have quality property to hunt on, not by outfitters looking to make money off hunts. You make it sound like outfitters are profiting from more than four non-residents applying for their licenses together. Makes no difference if they apply individually or as a group of fifteen, they still have to draw and whether they draw or not will be based on the lowest number of priority points of any person in their group. Outfitters can not plan on how many hunters they will have, as you suggest, because of the drawing process.

My hat is off to swanny and Kansas for having devoted so much time and hard work to developing excellent big buck populations in Kansas and Iowa. I guess I just didnt realize this. It should be a lesson to all of us lazy guys in these other states. And to think all along that I thought it was just a result of you guys having different seasons and methods. No more bitchin from me!

IALUVRFROMMO
, if you have small deer than I guess it pertains if it doesn't then you don't.

As stated before,most Non-Residents come to Iowa for the bigger deer.Like you go to Canada for the bears and fishing.But the odds are like anywhere period,one out of ten are taking a trophy home.Most of you get free acess to land and watch as your realtives party hunt and slaughter every deer in sight.Bad guys are fron all over,the majority of all violators are from your home towns and are people you know.There poaching deer you tell them about,we come for a new experience in Iowa and nothing more.In the future you best lease you some land or better yet buy it,soon all the free stuff will be gone
shocked.gif

Honestly, I agree that seasons and methods play big parts as well as many other factors and all I want to say to people from other states where they don'y have the quality of deer is this, Don't just give up on trying to make it better in your state. Try to do your small part to improve the population.

smittyd,
Leave your dog packs and buckshot at home. Or does that make it easier when you are spotlighting them? Looking at some of our recent news, the poachers are coming from the south, where there is a long tradition of that behavior. Yes, we have them living among us also, but your glass house is full of holes. Thanks for the advice on leasing, you must be a former resident because you know so much about our situation.

John v-

I guess I see your point about NR's hiring outfitters. I have always supported any legal means of hunting whether I agree with it or not. But I have also always been a do-it-yourselfer and would never be able to sit in a tree that someone else picked out for me. I am to anal and critical and would always be finding something wrong with it. Your right about spending xtra time scouting here. I live only 4 hrs from my Iowa hunting area and get to make a few overnight trips each spring to scout and look for sheds. I consider this the major reason I have such good luck here
and I usually end up spending more time scouting in Iowa than actually hunting. Thats the fun part anyway, Ain't it?

Did you go to the Spring brook State park thread?

WI Shedhead

When I sat on the IANRC I saw the NR increase go up every year, and I only sat on the commission for 3 years. Back then there were some biological reasons for the increases and I always enjoyed listening to the biologist point of view.

Since then we have harvested over 100,000 animals every year. If you were to look at the past two years data you will see our overall deer numbers dropping. Just imagine if we were to have a CWD out break how drastic it would be on our Iowa deer herd numbers.

This post could go on and on but no matter your view you need to understand there is a group that you can voice your ideas and opinions to and that is the Iowa Natural Resources Commission. The current commission I know very well and in my view will listen.

Here is a link to the IADNR website with names, meeting dates, past meeting minutes, etc.

IANRC Web Page

Hopefully this will help you understand the system in which out beloved Iowa whitetail is managed.

TLH

Dang Shedhead, you could get in trouble with child welfare for having your kid try to heft that monster non-typical rack. Did you shoot him? Iowa or Wisconsin? Nice deer wherever it came from!

Certainly alot of good input and i as well as other nonresidents probably agree, to some extent. I am an avid bowhunter and have been going to Iowa for the past 7 years. Some years i hunted and paid the price for a doe only tag and have done just that taken doe. The past two years i have been there for the shotgun season and seen some real senseless methods of so called deer management,such as seeing several deer both does and small buck being shot and left lay by resident hunters. I also herd them on the radios talking about doing just the same. We all know iam not the only one seeing or hereing of this happening. It would be great if they gave the nonresident a two deer tag one buck and one doe.

Hunt-m-up,of course we have alot of problems down here.With the long season and the rifles,but we try to ensure we keep our deer herds in check !Theres no way around it,we have liberal bag limits to ensure we keep the population from overtaking the state.We even have state wide QDM where the second buck you harvest must have 4 points on a side a min of 1" long.
wavey.gif
Alot of the counties here have QDM as well,with min.15" spreads and points on both bucks you harvest.Our deer herds are in great shape ,were overcoming the stocking of the small deer that help build the 1.5 millon deer herd we have..As stated before its the experience we seek there,not always the trophy.
grin.gif

I am from New Jersey and after not drawing in 2001 had the oppurtunity to hunt in Humbolt County this November. A friend of mine from here bought a house in LuVerne to use for pheasant hunting. I managed to draw a tag and was lucky enough to get hooked up with one of the locals who got me 4 farms to hunt on. Not a lot of timber but still saw some good bucks and managed to harvest a 128 inch 8 point that dressed out at 202 on the last day of the hunt.

There's definitely a few issues here that need to be ironed out. As a non res I would be more than happy to take a doe to help in the QDM process. As far as me killing a insubordinate buck is definitely proposterous. I certainly did not travel 21 1/2 hours to shoot something that I could shoot at home.

I definitely didn't mind paying the 300 dollars for the tag because the stay in the house was free and the land was free. It would be ashamed to see that oppurtinity dissappear because they want to double the amount of tags out there. I didn't mind the wait for the tag either.

To answer one of the above posts regarding the harvesting of some does our DNR out here implicated something new a few years back which really has started to work. They make anyone that hunts in certain zones(Picked by the DNR through deer kills etc) to shoot a doe first before you can kill a buck. After you killed a doe, when you brought it to the check station you were then issued your buck tag. And this happens for every season bow, shotgun, muzzleloader, etc. To top it off we are able to harvest unlimited does. When you check your doe in they immediately give you a tag to shoot another one. It's really starting to pay off with a lot more bigger bucks being spotted and harvested.

What draws me out to the midwest is just the lack of development. It is getting so populated out here that big bucks rarely get to full maturity and when they do they're usually seen and talked about by numerous people. Or biggest bow kill out here was a 6x7 that netted 189 killed about a half hour from my house. Almost impossible for a deer to get that big around the urban area that he was killed in but he obviously stayed well hidden for some years.

So what I'm getting at is if it is done with thought and consideration for the residents bumping up the number of tags could be a bit helpful if implimented the right way. I agree that 16000 is a little excessive. Illinois only gives out 12,000.

i personally think that we should raise our sales tax .01% to give to the idnr plus have a check in station where you give 5.00 for evey deer you bring in to get checked if we do not put in to iowa then big business will take it over ! we need to make idnr more self supporting where they dont need to bend for monatary reasons and compormise our wildlife if you remember one thing at the top of the idnr they are all just bean counters . mizou collects .01% from sales taxes forthe dnr and they are very strong .

regardless of the number of non resident licenses issued, Iowa shall remain in the dark ages of deer sport hunting and management as long as it continues to allow party hunting and deer driving. these practices degrade the experience of hunting a noble quarry like the whitetail and turn it into a free -for -all food gathering operation. Non resident and resident bow hunters do not see or experience this charade. if they did they would be up in arms against the practice and ask the people at the dnr and in the legislature to do something about it. if party hunting deer driving has to continue it should be allowed after the bow and and shotgun and blackpowder seasons and be for antlerless deer only. why the bow hunters and true sportsmen of iowa do not get on this issue is a complete mystery to me and a sign that they only care about one thing and that is hunting for free on some farmer's land to the exclusion of everyone else. the times are changing and unless constructive intelligent discussion takes place about the resource and the managment of deer numbers and trophy hunting, things will only get worse.

"why the bow hunters and true sportsmen of iowa do not get on this issue is a complete mystery to me and a sign that they only care about one thing and that is hunting for free on some farmer's land to the exclusion of everyone else" - NODRIVER

Not sure what you mean here. Should I not want to hunt for free and by myself, as opposed to paying to hunt in a woods that I must share with others so we can take turns ruining each others hunt?

I don't like drive and party hunting either, but there ain't no way the DNR is going to make it illegal. They feel it is the best way to kill large numbers of deer and controling the population is pretty much all they care about. And if Iowa deer hunters were put to a vote it would stay the same way it is now. I live in the county with the high kill total every year in the state and assure you that at least 90% of all shotgun hunters are in groups making drives.

Top Bottom