Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nontypical European Mount

KCCyclone

A few weeks ago I had posted about coming across a large nontypical deadhead while attempting a spot and stalk while bowhunting.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32351

Well tonight I picked him up front the taxidermist all cleaned up. Two of us did two measurements at different times and one came up with 177 gross and the other came up with 179 gross so I'm guessing he's somewhere between the 175 and 180 mark. The typical nontypical side scored around 95 inches with nearly 10" of mass at the base and a 15 4/8" brow tine.

When the taxidermist aged the buck with his jaws, it turns out this buck was only a 2.5 year old. One can only imagine what he would have been in two more years. But I'm glad to finally get him home and add him to my "Man Cave".

DSC02718.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

DSC02723.jpg

That's a gnarly looking rack right there. Too bad you couldn't have run into him with 2 or 3 more years on him. Looks like the taxidermist did a good job too; I really like the the pedestal that he put it on.

Hate to see how much he actually lost. Neat looking buck! Who did the mount? Looks very nice!

Very nice. I also really like the pedestal and I'm in the market for one. Does that one have a brand name on the bottom by chance?

Who did the mount?

Terry Miller of Miller's Taxidermy in Plattsburg, MO has done all of my european mounts and he also does an excellent job on shoulder mounts as well. I can't say enough good things about Terry. He's a great taxidermist and even a better person. I'd suggest him to anyone in the west MO/east KS area.

great rack

Repeat all the above comments. I like the jaw bones touch. I always Euro my own but never thought about keeping the jb. Did you get him aged?

That is an awesome looking rack, I be you really wish you didn't have to wonder how much got broke off the right side. Only 2.5 years old!

That is an awesome looking rack, I be you really wish you didn't have to wonder how much got broke off the right side. Only 2.5 years old!

Finding this buck was really a bitter sweet moment. It's tough to find one of this caliber rotting away instead of seeing him on the hoof, but at the same time I'm glad that I was the one to find him. But I would have liked to see what he had before he broke everything off of the nontypical side. It looks like he would have had a decent sized main beam (3"+ mass measurement), another drop tine and a few more inches off of the one drop. But who knows what would have been on the end of the broken main beam. Maybe shed hunting this spring we'll come across a broken main beam....

Top Bottom