Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

North Dakota Deer Reduction

blake

Life Member
Big reduction in North Dakota deer gun licenses considered

(AP) — North Dakota's Game and Fish Department is considering a big reduction in the number of deer gun licenses available for hunters this fall.

The agency is holding district advisory meetings across the state. It is circulating a draft document that suggests issuing only about 65,000 deer gun licenses later this year. In 2011, there were almost 110,000 licenses issued.
Game and Fish director Terry Steinwand says deer numbers are down and there's a number of reasons why.

Steinwand says recent harsh winters have been hard on deer. He says energy development in western North Dakota affects the deer population. And a growing number of mountain lions are preying on deer for food.

I kind of find the harsh winter a little hard to believe. The mining is aspect is so so. Maybe some effect. Why no mention of EHD? NW SD was hammered this last year and im sure the ND deer were too.

I Am not a coal miner or roughneck or nothing like that (i simply make their job safer) but coal mines are literally some of the safest and most eco consious places ive been. I see so much wildlife on coal mine property i am literally amazed. They are doing somethong right.

Deer numbers have been going down every year up here for the last 4 or 5 yrs. They were late on reducing the doe tags after our first hard winter 4 yrs ago and we had a season were lots of people were not able to fill doe tags that they shouldn't of been sold in the first place. They have been very retroactive with the deer management so it is nice to see a proactive approach. I don't like the idea that I have a much lower chance of getting a rifle tag this fall, but anyone who spends time in a stand most of the fall here in ND will understand why this is needed and will be accepting of the reduction.

Would be nice to live in a state where your wildlife director is actually listened to :rolleyes: just sayin.....

Hope your population rebounds quickly!

I think multiple wildlife agencies should place a small bounty on the hides of coyotes and mountain lions and see if that helps rebound the deer numbers, and kot just the deer numbers but turkey, pheasant, quail everything. Idk just my 2 cents

Top Bottom