Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

North Dakota Mule Deer Hunting

kstur

PMA Member
I am going on a mule deer hunt in September near a town called Bowman North Dakota.I am starting to get things ready and was wondering if any of you have hunted in this area or know anything about it.This will be my first time trying spot and stalk type hunting. Is there any equipment that I might need to improve my chances on connecting on a mulie. Any advice offerd is appreciated.

If the terrain is steep, I would strongly suggest an angle compensating range finder. I didn't have one on my high country mulie hunt and on the first day in camp I went out with a buddy's and compared it to mine. I found some range readings differing by 10 plus yards depending on the steepness. I have now made the purchase.

I would also look at synthetic fabric clothing and avoid cotton. They are more breathable and air out easier. Make sure they are soft for stalks. Some heavy wool socks or stalking slippers of some kind will help when you close the distance.

If you will be glassing much get some good optics. A good spotting scope, tripod, and binos are required equipment. You will likely spent much more time looking through glass than actually stalking. Cheap price is cheap quality and if you plan do it more than once, spend some money.

Daily practice at 70 yards will make a 40 yard shot seem easy! (or so I found)

Good luck!:way:

The area is pretty much just open rolling prairie with an occasional rock outcropping (butte). Good optics will be essential, both bino's and spotting scope with tripod. Get good at finding coulies and draws, practice your belly crawl, watch out for cactus and rattlesnakes, and get real good at hinding behind fence posts or barbed wire. And dont smart off when at the local bar...them ranch boys are bored most of the time and really like going to the alley. The people of Bowman are good honest hard working people. But like any "cow town", things get a little rough at times. I've spent a lot of time in and around Bowman. Smile, be friendly, and you'll get along just fine.

If the terrain is steep, I would strongly suggest an angle compensating range finder. I didn't have one on my high country mulie hunt and on the first day in camp I went out with a buddy's and compared it to mine. I found some range readings differing by 10 plus yards depending on the steepness. I have now made the purchase.

I would also look at synthetic fabric clothing and avoid cotton. They are more breathable and air out easier. Make sure they are soft for stalks. Some heavy wool socks or stalking slippers of some kind will help when you close the distance.

If you will be glassing much get some good optics. A good spotting scope, tripod, and binos are required equipment. You will likely spent much more time looking through glass than actually stalking. Cheap price is cheap quality and if you plan do it more than once, spend some money.

Daily practice at 70 yards will make a 40 yard shot seem easy! (or so I found)

Good luck!:way:

I think Bowman summed it best. As long as I've been hunting out west, the saying has been "you'll wear out the seat of your pants before you wear out your boots" from sitting and glassing. But, have a good, durable, comfortable, broken in pair of boots, especially if you are in steep terrain. Also, use liner socks under your wool socks (Smartwool are great) so you don't blister up. I had an infected blister on my foot (forgot liner socks) almost kill me (literally) a couple of years ago, while fighting fires in northern CA. And definitely invest in the best optics you can afford or borrow. Avoiding cotton is another good piece of advice. Besides just breathing better, when the temps dip, as they can quickly, and your cotton shirt or pants are soaked from sweat, you run the risk of going hypothermic. A year ago, I switched to Underarmor heat gear for the August/Sept hunt where temps start at 35, climb to 85, and drop to 60s. Its great.

I live close to Bowman, you'll probably be hunting west of there.
Here are some things to bring.
Good spotting scope and tripod and window mount.
Good binos, not to heavey with a good bino buddy strap system.
Good Range finder "a must"
Good uninsulated hikers and quality light weight socks, it will be hot mostly
Good layered system, cool mornings, hot days, cool evenings. Kneepads to
Good back pack with a bladder.
Good 7 pin site on your bow or slider HHHA type. Practice to 80-90 it makes the 40-50 seem almost easy.
Good tires, badlands are hard on them and if it rains look out! LOL

And come with a good attitude an a smile on your face and have fun! Your in cowboy country, nothing they hate more than a know it all cocky out of stater.

good luck!

Thanks for all of the good advice. Now another question. What is a good tripod at a fair price. Should I get a full size one or one of the smaller compact ones?

Top Bottom