Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

North Eastern Iowa Deer Population??????

mnachrei

I was down last Sunday with my Dad and Brother to put our seats in our stands for the slug hunt coming up in December. We hunt around St. Lucas area by the Turkey River. The land owner where we hunt said he has noticed a lack of deer around. Is all the seasons taking a toll on the deer herd or is he just not seeing them around? When we were cruising the woods in the Kawasaki Mule we didnt chase anything up so it does have me wondering. But there are quite a few trails around.

any info is much appreciated

Mitch

they are all living in city limits now. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif there are so many deer its unreal, I have noticed the doe seasons are doing what they are spose too though

I have to believe that it has alot to do with the large groups that gun hun that area. I know of one group that has 30+ guys and rumor has ot that they shoot 60+ deer in the first season alone. And that's just one of the larger groups that hunt that area.

Just food for thought!

I can honestly say I haven't seen as many overall this year as the last few. Clayton/Allamakee Co.'s do have the highest # of antlerless tags issued (5000 tags?)and they always get sold out early. That's a lot of deer being shot. There are still a good number of deer around, just not as many as 3-5 years ago in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1luckyguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clayton/Allamakee Co.'s do have the highest # of antlerless tags issued (5000 tags?)and they always get sold out early. That's a lot of deer being shot. There are still a good number of deer around, just not as many as 3-5 years ago in my opinion. </div></div>

I have not seen this area sell out of it's quota early yet. No way can they shoot that amount of deer in the hills up there.
People I have talked to are seeing deer everywhere.

does that huge group have the last name kinnen? excuse the spelling if it aint right i'm just trying to get the pronunciation to you guys. about 3 or 4 years ago i seen half the deer they had hanging from wkend 1 and there were at least damn near 40! they shoot just about anything from wut ive heard in the years i have been coming down there.

That's the way one group does it around my area. They have 24 guys and most have multiple tags.

They hunt with a farmer who has a ton of ground and the farmer tells them they HAVE TO shoot any deer that runs by. The farmer has even kicked guys out of the group who let does pass to shoot the bucks.

Raw Carnage.

Top Bottom