Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

North to Alaska

buckwheat

It has always been a dream of mine to hunt in a very remote land like Canada, or Alaska. This year I finally am getting this opportunity. Although I wont be hunting, I am going to Alaska to be a packer for a hunting outfitter.

I leave Iowa July 18th and will be in Alaska for three months. We will be hunting Dall sheep, Grizzly, Caribou, and Moose. While I am there I will pretty much be the camp grunt doing things like packing in/out the spike camps, skinning/quartering/packing out the meat, repairing airstrips, hauling water, and assisting the guide/clients.

Chandalar, Alaska is the “town” that is the closest to us. It pretty much is an airstrip and that’s it. We will be hunting the Brooks mountain range for most of the season. The name of the outfitter I am working for Mike Vanning owner of Gateway Guiding. He has a pretty neat website www.gatewayguiding.com every time I look at it I just get pumped.

I am not posting this to brag or anything like that at all. I am just really excited and just wanted to share this awesome opportunity with you all. I will have the video camera and digital camera in hand so hopefully I can get some neat pictures, and footage.

I want to wish Good Luck, and safe outings to everyone the first part of October. I know I will be itching to get on the site my first week there. Three months without it will be weird. Good luck once again!

Jory

that sounds like a hell of a summer.... dont think of yourself as the grunt of the camp but more as a learning experience and make the best of it... its going to be great 3 months for you....let us know how it goes...

That's an awesome opportunity that could open some doors for ya. Make the most of it, sounds great
cool.gif

that is an awsome opportunity, take it from someone who let it pass by....
DONT LET IT PASS BY!!
you will be very happy you took this chance to get out and experience the real outdoors!!
hope it goes well for you!!
grin.gif

Top Bottom