Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Not big, but he is MINE

rookie10pt

This story doesn't include BIG antlers, but it has a deer that i am behind, thats what counts right?:)

First you need to understand a little about the place i hunt. Its a little piece of ground in the middle of a square mile that has grass and a few trees. I have two stands here, one more towards the north and the other right on the south edge. last Thursday afternoon i got in my south stand a round 4:00pm. Around 4:45 i watched a 8pt chase a doe across the field and onto this grass place ware i am at. Well needless to say I watched as the buck walked right up to my other stands ladder and stand there for like 5 min!! he then proceeded to exit the property at 30 yrds behind one of the few trees that are there and run off across another field...10min later he chases the doe back, and passes me at 20yds but i couldn't get him to stop.:thrwrck: Friday i went back out and sat in my north stand where i saw him the night before, ready for when he came back. He came back alright, except he walked 20yds past my OTHER stand and STOPED, man i was beating myself for that one!! Saturday and Sunday i couldn't hunt, so his afternoon i headed back out, got to my stand around 3:00pm climbed up after jumping 3 does.i watched them through the binos, and to my horror they was that buck( i named him joker) following them!! Well i turns out that they were not the one that i jumped, the one that i jumped ran maybe 500yds and just stood there in a plowed corn field. Well i figured that they would't be able to see me, so i climbed down to check my cameras, a i was walking to one of them, i noticed that the deer started to run off:thrwrck: I headed back to my stand then chewing my self out for scaring them. I no sooner sit down and look up and see a farmer pulling rocks in his field, so that must of been what scared them i thought. Well the deer didn't run far before they split up, two does came running back towards me and bedded down in a little grassy strip about 250yds away. while the buck and doe bed down 500+yds away in the field. At about 4:30 I noticed a deer along ways away feeding along a waterway, i do a couple can calls, 10min later the deer breaks into an all out run towards me! He winds his way through the grass and kindof gets hung up about 60yds away, i give him another little can call and he comes on in, I thought, he was following a trail that would take him out into a field, behind a tree 30yds away. Just before he gets to the field he turns an heads right passed my stand at 20yrds, BIG MISTAKE, I stop him and let my 2 blade blood runners do the rest!! Double lunged him, he went 80-100yds before tipping over!!:way: The first thing that went through my mind after i walked up to him, after YES i got him, was "he would be a stud in 3-4years!!" he has a split g3 on his right side. He has 9 tines + two broken ones. Not the biggest deer around, but he is MINE! Its my second year bow hunting and my second buck with the bow. I feel extremely blessed by the Lord to have been able to harvest another awesome whitetail!!

picture.php

Last edited:
Awesome man, congratulations!!! What it all comes down to is being happy with the deer you shot. If you did that, you got a trophy!!!

Congrats !! Great animal!! :way::way: Nobody will frown on the kill!! For reference . Use to be , I thought about the coolest thing that could be as far as bowhunting .would be to have a P&Y buck!! Man!! That would make me a real bowhunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D To be in P&Y is TITS! I'm am the Man!! :drink2: Then I killed one! :confused: Then I killed another! :confused: HMMMMM!!! Somewhere in there it kinda did not really matter if it made their book!! :confused: Brother! they are all great animals!!!!!! So now . If I get one that will make both books, maybe Ill enter it! Maybe not! :drink2: Still a great animal, and nobody's gonna take my picture cept my wife!!!! Enjoy the hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:way:

Congrats! Any bow kill in my book is a trophy. I've come to learn this over the years. I love chasing big mature whitetails, but more important is that you take the opportunities your given. As long as you are happy with the kill and enjoy and savor the moment. That is all that matters.

Top Bottom