Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Not To Be Political Or Anything But.....

G

This was on one of the other BB's.......

Iowa's Anti-Hunting Governor Faces Tough Re-election Fight- (10/08) Iowa

In 2001, Governor Tom Vilsack betrayed Iowa sportsmen when he vetoed a bill to permit mourning dove hunting after pledging to sign it. That incident may cost him re-election.

According to polls, political newcomer Doug Gross, actively pursuing support among hunters, has overtaken Governor Vilsack. The latest poll commissioned by Survey USA and WHO-TV, the Des Moines NBC affiliate, shows Gross beating Vilsack 49 percent to 46 percent.

Iowa usually re-elects incumbent governors. The previous two served for a total of 30 years. So, why is Vilsack struggling? One reason is the economy, but campaign insiders have indicated that lack of sportsmen support, mainly stemming from his dove veto, is a key vulnerability.

In January 2001, more than 350 sportsmen and sportswomen went to Des Moines to convince Governor Vilsack to sign a bill that would have made Iowa the 39th state to permit mourning dove hunting. The governor not only vetoed the bill, he didn’t even address the rally - one of the largest ever held in the Iowa Statehouse. He instead remained hidden in his office. Sportsmen have not forgotten.

On November 5, Iowa sportsmen have the chance to directly respond to Governor Vilsack for denying the state a dove season. Get to the polls and let your voice be heard!

Don't apologize for bringing up political issues! The future of hunting is going to lie in the hands of the nonhunting public...... it is time that we get our heads out of the sand and recognize those in political office who do not support us........ ie case in point. During the last presidential election (West Virginia) which has virtually never supported a Republican in their history voted Republican... the NRA held a rally at their state capital days before the election when it was realized that even the smaller electoral votes would be needed. Virtually every family in WV hunts or is involved in the outdoors...... without their electorate president Bush would have lost. Sportsman should all be voting and making our voices heard!

Don't apologize, and thank you for stating it!!,

This Needs to be brought to the sportsman attention.

How in all good conscience how could any Iowa Hunter vote for a candidate who does not support hunting in Iowa is beyond me.

Think about, what if vilsack had a chance to influence the legitimacy of bowhunting or any other current accepted and recognized hunting opportunity. vilsack has a track record of blowing with the political wind, and if he thought the majority of the public supported the cancellation of bowhunting, trapping or any other opportunity, he would do what he could to end that venture.

Maybe it was Dove hunting today; you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Do the right thing and make sure vilsack does not have the opportunity to make another bad decision!

Iowawhitetail, thank you for posting this!

It is time that he hears the sportman's voice. Too bad for him that he has to hear it at the polls.
toilet_claw.gif

I believe ICEMAN's quote on this was; "NO DOVE, NO GOV!"
wink.gif

Make sure you vote, regardless of your position on the issues...........

But it would be nice to see the annual Governors deer hunt again.
wink.gif

Although I agree with every response here in regards to the dove hunting issue do not let that be the sole basis for who you vote for. There are alot of other important issues that seperate the two canidates besides whether we can hunt doves or not. Education, the enviorment, hog confinements, and other important issues. Look at who represents all of your interests in general including the dove hunting issue. If they all add up to Doug Gross then that is who you need to vote for. Don't let your mind be clouded unless you know where the other canidate stands on the issue. Maybe he will promise the same thing and not deliver. Where does he stand on everything else. Yeah, I am a Republican.

I am not fond of either of them, but like the prev. post, look at all the facts when your sizing these guys up. Above all get out and Vote!

Since the subject has been brought up, can anyone comment on the ad that has been running lately with Sen. Harkin making a statement about eliminating gun ownership? Is this his actual position
confused.gif
, or is it only part of a statement taken out of context to tarnish his image with sportsman? I have no party affiliation, just curious where Harkin stands on the issue.

To me it is a lot bigger than a dove issue. It's a matter of putting politics ahead of science in wildlife management. It is also a slap in the face of Iowa sportsmen and women. I felt we at least deserved to have him come out of the office to address the issue.

"The people don't want a dove season", after it passes the house and senate? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Decide what is important to you and cast your vote.

I'd like to see politicians learn that, in Iowa, the sportsman's vote is important.

Old Buck

It could be a case of the lesser of two evils, but the incumbent has obviously shown thru the dove issue that he has a serious disregard for his constituents. This is only the tip of the iceberg; we'll continue to see this in every program from roads to education.
The polls are where we make a difference, get out and vote.

The big issue here to me is that the big money animal rights groups came to town on the dove issue and governor vilsack jumped right into bed with them. That should scare the puddin' out of ya. Because who knows what might be down the road in the next four years. Iowa sportsmen need to send a message loud and clear to vilsack, "you doubled-crossed us. Goodby." That will make a statement every other governor will listen too for a long time. Tom Harkin has double-crossed us a few times too.

answer to g2,

In regard to harkin, his views have become so liberal in the last several years, he has lost touch with Iowans overall, but more specifically he has lost touch with Iowa Sportsman. He is regarded to be very liberal even to Washington DC standards. The harkin of 20 years ago does not even bare a small resemblance to the harkin of today. Hopefully Iowans will vote him out of office and send another clear message to the antis, but my fear is harkins smoke and celebrity spokespeople will drive him right back to Washington.

I think it's safe to say that Vilsack is not getting my vote. As an Iowa State Student and Iowa Guard Officer, I've felt the budget problems directly. I don't think Vilsack could budget his own checkbook. Then the guy derails dove hunting after promising to support it. I think it's safe to assert that Republicans support hunting and gun rights much more than Democrats. Although, to be fair, I have heard that quite a few sportsmen are unhappy with Greg Ganske, a Republican. Anyone know why this is?

I don't want to go off on this too much, but Harkin has made me very angry several times with his votes. If you hold his voting record up along side of Ted Kennedy, you will see that they are almost identical. Harkin is on the list of top 15 people to vote for of the largest, well-financed animal rights organization, the HSUS. It's hard to beleive that few people from Iowa actually see the real Harkin. He puts on a show every election that he's a big pheasant hunter but then goes to washingotn and votes for a bill that would outlaw autoloading shotguns. Look for him to be doing it any day since the election is coming up and pheasant season is right around the corner. Hypocrite.

Thanks for the info Iowa whitetail. This governor has been so far out of touch with the sportsmen in this stat for two years now. It's good to hear our voices are being heard. Get out and vote!!

rockband.gif
Slim

Paul Wellstone in MN is the mirror of Harkin in Iowa. He was killed in a plane crash a few hours ago. I did not agree with him on anything it seemed, but my heart goes out to his family, frineds and supporters.

Iowa1 is right on the money. I heard on the radio this morning that Harkin is planning an opening weekend pheasant hunt and invited Ganske along. The Ganske camp of course called it a political stunt. We sportsman have to protect our interest. Sure, I look at other issues and where each candidate stands. But when it comes down to supporting the second amendment, hunters rights, and wildlife habitat, I'll support that person EVERY time.

Here is a news release from the U.S. Sportsman's Alliance. It gives a little more background on our current governor.

Governor Betrays Sportsmen - Rejects Legislation Permitting Dove Hunting- (01/31)
Iowa
Join our e-mail alert list

Des Moines - In a final act of betrayal to sportsmen, Governor Tom Vilsack released a veto message for the Game Management Bill that would have permitted mourning dove hunting.
Although Vilsack had previously indicated that he would veto the bill, the move surprised both sportsmen and legislative leaders because the bill had not yet been sent to the governor's office. He had previously attempted to derail the bill prior to a vote in the Iowa Senate on January 25, 2001 by claiming that the bill was improperly written, a charge refuted by national wildlife legal experts.

The veto message was released less than one-half hour after Rick Tebbs, chairman of the Iowa Committee for WLFA, invited the governor to a Wednesday morning rally held by sportsmen in favor of the bill. The Iowa Committee has coordinated the coalition of conservation organizations behind House File 43, the Game Management Bill.

"It's obvious that Governor Vilsack made this move to avoid facing the sportsmen of Iowa at tomorrow's rally," said Tebbs. "He miscalculated. I have already spoken with people all over the state who are now coming to the Statehouse tomorrow morning to protest the veto."

Other members of the Iowa Committee were equally outraged.

"We made it through the hard part by getting the bill through the House and Senate," said Rick Sharp, East Iowa Coordinator for the Iowa Committee. "We apparently just have the wrong governor."

The governor stated that the number of calls his office received against the bill influenced his decision. Unfortunately, national anti-hunting groups such as the New York-based Fund for Animals called on their members around the country to contact the governor's office. Iowa sportsmen noted that the governor's staff did not ask whether the callers were Iowa residents.

"Iowa sportsmen need to know that their governor made this decision based on calls from all over the U.S.," said Rob Sexton, Director of State Services for the Wildlife Legislative Fund of America, an organization that monitors anti-hunting activity across the country. "We will make sure that people know what has taken place."

Supporters of dove hunting were shocked to find out that the governor was listening to out-of-state interests and not Iowa citizens.

"Short of voting twice, I will work tirelessly to make sure that we get a new governor in 2002 that supports the rights of hunters," said Sharp. "Many of us found it strange that Vilsack was not present at the annual Governor's deer hunt and pheasant hunt, both longstanding traditions in our state. Now, we know why."

Wednesday morning's rally took place at 10:30 AM in the first floor rotunda at the Statehouse.

Iowa Committee members would like to thank the multitude of conservation organizations representing hundreds of thousands of Iowa citizens who favor professional wildlife management and mourning dove hunting. Those organizations include Iowa Chapters of the nation's leading conservation organizations: Foundation for North American Wild Sheep, Furtakers of America, Izaak Walton League, National Wild Turkey Federation, Pheasants Forever, Safari Club International, Whitetails Unlimited, Wildlife Legislative Fund of America and Wildlife Society.

Iowa's statewide sportsmen organizations were proponents as well: Iowa Bowhunters Assoc., Iowa State Coonhunters Assoc., Iowa Hunter Education Assoc., Iowa Sportsmen Federation, Iowa Taxidermists Assoc., Iowa Trappers Assoc., Iowa Turn-In-A-Poacher program and the Iowa Wildlife Federation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information on this website can be reprinted with a citation to the US Sportsmen's Alliance and www.ussportsmen.org

In January of 2001 Rick Tebbs contacted me to try and rally support for the dove hunting bill up here in northeast Iowa. We had little time but were able to get hunters to write, call and e-mail the govenor's office. I doubt that I would hunt doves but I felt that the people that wanted to should have that option. We felt we would have a dove season. Little did we know..... but I haven't forgot.

In 1993 a small group of guys were invited to Springbrook Conservation Center to take part in Iowa's first Boone and Crockett measurers training class. I was offered a spot at the class which was hosted by the late Lee Gladfelter. Through the four day course we would gather at mealtime and talk hunting. At lunch one of those days Lee mentioned he had read that the projected end of hunting was the year 2019. I'd like to pose this question. How old will your children and grandchildren be in 2019? It's up to us to give them what all of us at Iowa Whitetail.com enjoy so much. I would like to applaud Lee's vision and the vision of the Iowa DNR in making Iowa one of thee states everyone would like to hunt whitetails in.

I'd like to ask everyone to please support the NRA and the people they support. They are fighting different groups of anti's on many fronts. We need the help.

Allamakee Grand Slam NRA Life Member

I got just one question. Both the house and the senate passed this issue, the gov. vetoed the bill. What happened next? Why didn't the veto get overridden. I'm rather new to Iowa politics, but in Minnesota(trust me this has happened allot the last 4 years) the Gov. can be overridden by a 2/3 majority in either the house or the senate, I can't remember which or if has to be both. I have always felt that the people in the house and senate are more important than the Gov.

Top Bottom