Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November 12 works again

Rjack

Scored on the same day in 2004 as well, but on a smaller buck.

Saw 6 different bucks on Friday while hunting with a buddy. We were back on Saturday with my 12 year old son (Drew) as well. I put Drew in my stand and used my climber in a tree about 30 yards from Drew so I could better cover a trail I had seen some activity on the day before.

It was slow at first, but around 9am a doe came in below me followed by a very wide 7 point. He chased off a smaller buck then bred her about 60 yards from me. Another buck (9 point) came in and the 7 point kept him away. They hung around for 45 minutes. I was calling trying to get them to come up as Drew was behind me and would have been thrilled to take either of them for his fist bow buck. Meanwhile a doe runs by Drew with her mouth open and a few minutes later a buck follows. He was 20 yards and didn’t stop so Drew didn’t take the shoot. I missed all of that action.

Shortly after 10, this big guy walks in and the 2 bucks below me duck away. He herds the doe away and I think they are leaving, but she makes a right turn and crosses an opening at 32 yards. He is trotting after her, so I draw and grunt loudly. He stops, but a little late as there is some slight brush in the way. I put the 30 yard pin on him and took the shot. I see it enter the front shoulder area but in the lower ½. He stumbles, falls, and tries to get up but his front legs are not working well. After 25 yards he lays down. I get out the range finder as I think I just broke the shoulders and need to get another arrow in him. He is 42 yards out. As I reach for an arrow, I hear "thump". I look over and see Drew has just taken a shot at the doe which stopped 6 yards from him. I put the binocs on my buck and see he is down for good. Later found out I took out the top of his heart.

69IMG_0734-med.JPG

69IMG_0736-med.JPG

Then one of the other bucks comes walking straight into Drew – obviously looking for the hot doe. Drew nocks another arrow and the buck stands face-on at 15 yards. I’m calling like crazy trying to get him to turn and face me giving Drew a broadside shot, but he turns and leaves.

About this time by buddy comes up from his stand. While he is talking to Drew, 2 more bucks come crusing in looking for the hot doe. Unfortunately neither offered a shot to the other hunters.

While trailing the doe Drew shot, we lost blood. Drew circles around and is following the creek with a 4 foot drop off. He sees antlers in the dry creek and gets and arrow ready. The buck suddenly comes up the bank and pops out 3 yards from Drew (I think he heard Drew and thought it was another buck). When the buck realizes his mistake, he falls over backward trying to get out of there. As he runs up the other creek bank, a doe jumps up and follows. Drew sees it is the doe he hit. She is running fine. I think he just grazed her as he said he hit low and she was only 6 yards from the stand. Had he been able to drop her right at the stand, he likely would have had numerous opportunities at bucks!

What an awesome day to share with my son and buddy.

He has split brow tines so is a 12 pointer. My rough score shows a gross of 148 with only 2 ½ inches of side-to-side deduction and 2 3/8 inches of non-typical for a net score of just over 143. He is my best bow kill.

Guess we know where Drew will be next weekend.

Here is a pic with Drew (far right) and his younger brother, Dakota. Dakota isn't bow hunting yet, but he is looking to score on his first buck with a muzzleloader later this year.

69IMG_0721-med.JPG

that family photo is priceless. What a great deer and family you got there. Congratulations!

Great buck, sounds like you and your son had an exciting hunt.
smile.gif

It really sounds like you guys were in the right place at the right time. Thanks for the story and great pics.

Nice buck and some good pics to remember it with. Wish my son had taken more interest in bowhunting with me, but some kids just like gaming more I guess.
smirk.gif
Congrats!
grin.gif

Top Bottom