Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Noxious weeds vs wildlife benefit

bjkpharmd

I've let some foxtail and ragweed go around the edges of plots and when I rest a plot and change locations from year to year. Looking at wildlife benefit like food for quail and pheasant, I wonder if I'm going to get dinged on this during CRP compliance inspections. There are other places that didn't get sprayed well and some natives came back- I was going to propose a portion of CRP for 1/2 strength round-up treatment to see what comes back. What do you think?

I haven't been able to really find out exactly what "noxious weeds" are? I doubt if they will say much about the foxtail though. Could mow it before nesting season maybe?
You can spray your natives with Roundup very early...just as soon as the cool season green up. I've done that before. I've sprayed tree plantings that were full of switchgrass, in April and it never bothered the switch at all.
I think I'm going to do a little mowing at my place to wack down some locust trees that have popped up and a few thistles here and there. I figure the worst that can happen is they will ask me to bring any areas into compliance...if they are not???

Top Bottom