Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR applicants

I

IALUVRFROMMO

The topic of increased NR any sex permits is a very hot one for sure, but is there any way of knowing the number of applicants since the price increase? Some people have commented that it didnt make any difference but I find that hard to believe as I know of a lot of guys who said to hell with it Im not paying that much! Mostly Northern Missouri locals. Just think that its premature to worry about available tags when we dont really know what the demand was at the new price. Does anyone have this info?

My party of four bowhunters was rejected for zone 4, so the price increase did not scare very many people away. I don't know where the "unsold licenses" were. It seems to me that the DNR brought the price to the demand line so they did well for Iowa. It blows me away to hear residents crying over a possible
increase of a couple of bucks. Look around everything goes up!

I believe last summer I saw that there were around 12,000 plus applicants for the 6000 or so licenses. It's supply and demand. The $309.00 license is steep but I don't anticipate big changes unless the numbers start to drop due to the quality of hunting or change in laws. My concern is the DNR may try and significantly increase the non-resident licenses to generate more revenues. Budgets are tight.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the price hike in NR Tags that directly affects the residents. Hunting ground is coming more scarce to us as outfitters are leasing the ground for the NR to come in and hunt. IA DNR needs to keep the NR tag Quota near the 6000 mark and if they are concerned about revenue, increase the price of NR fees a small amount and push the state legislature to come up with a 1/8-1/4 cent tax to cover expenses of the DNR. I am afraid in the next decade, the push for more non residents to deer hunt this state will ruin the trophy potential for the residents. Sorry in advance to the NR, it is just my opinion on deer management and past experience

Thanks for your replies, but everyone seems to be missing the point. I also read last summer that there were around 12000 applicants chasing 6000 permits, but that was for the '01 season at the old price of less than half what it is now. Everyone seems to think that there is an unlimited demand for NR permits. They could obviously sell more than they are selling now but demand is not unlimited. As for the outfitters, I have to wonder how heavy the demand is there too especially at those prices.

Obviously, non-residents are comming here for one reason, TROPHY DEER, we don't need anymore hunters in the woods! If they want to hunt here make it mandatory they have to buy a doe license and have to fill it before they shoot a buck. And something we need badly is check stations, it sure would solve a lot of problems, think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IALUVRFROMMO - You raise a very good question. I searched for the answer on the DNR web site but I could not find it. I do know that most zones did sell out right away with many NRs getting nothing but a preference point. The only exceptions were some parts of the state where I would be surprised if most of them didn't get sold too before the seasons started. I agree that there might have been fewer applicants due to the price but I also believe the supply of tags is lower than the demand for them.

I dont like the increase pressure that more tags will bring. either I unfortunately live near well know buck country. I get asked several times a year by RES/NR to hunt. I have 10 guys that hunt already so mostly the answer is no. I did allow 2 hunters from NC hunt 3 years ago and they must have told several people I allowed them to hunt for free. Then several hunters called saying the knew some guys you allowed so on and so on. Well I long story short 4 parties of NR started calling they started to put a price tag on each day hunted. I got 270.00 per day per hunter. More tags will drive up the price Iam hoping for 500.00 a day per hunter. I bet I get it. The price could be 1000.00 per tag and they still will get sold out. These guys dont have the same income I got. I bet the 4 guys that hunted my place this year spent 5-6 thousand each. I got 3500.00 from each of them. Cant wait until thats 5-6.000 each pay some darn bills. We got want they want.. Iam starting to feel like Bill Gates

Nick from Buffalo, NY wrote:It blows me away to hear residents crying over a possible
increase of a couple of bucks. Look around everything goes up!

Like maybe the medical supplies you sell Nick? I see you hunt 4 different states? Could this be because you overcharge for your medical supplies and can afford it? Some of us work hard for the money we make and it isn't that much either. I'd feel much better if guys like you stayed the hell home or found a new hobby.
G6

I searched the DNR site also, I think the stats probably wont be published untill app time for the '03 season. What I hope all the residents understand is that we NRs dont want to see the quality decline any more than they do. And before they start feeling robbed, consider all the trophy bucks taken in Missouri by Iowans with rifles every year. Far more big, dead bucks cross the line going North than they do South trust me! Its been that way for decades, and we've never complained. I'm not whining here, just dont want to be seen as the big bad wolf.

Regulate the outfitters. The DNR needs to find ways so the revenues go into their pockets. Then they (the DNR) could buy more ground just like the outfitters are, except the ground they buy could be used by everyone not just those with the most $$ (Just brainstorming here). Maybe the DNR needs to get into the outfitting business, for real!! Just look at the money they could make.

Never allow out of state landowners garaunteed tags.

Don't increase NR tags. I think at worst you can hunt here every other year with a preference point. The more NR the more leasing/outfitting will take a foothold.

I personally think we as residents can take care of deer herd population problems with doe tags issued where the DNR sees fit.

Like mentioned before, people want to hunt here for a reason (quality hunting) basically for everyone Res. and NR alike. The more leasing and purchase of land by outfitters the less quality for people who just won't be able to afford it. I want my son to enjoy hunting just as I do, not searching for a lease.
Pupster

....do the math....16,000 non-resident hunters in 99 counties....that's an average of 161 non-resident hunters per county....161 more people competeing with the residents for what racks are out there....NR's didn't come here to shoot doe's.

161 more hunters when all the DNR provides on averqage is one officer per county.....so where is the added revenue going?..."follow the money"....Don't bet your next paycheck it will be to add more enforcement personel.

My issue with the DNR is their poor enforcement of game laws, everyone here on this board has seen violations going on year after year....some seem to suggeest we throw more money the DNR's way it may solve the problem....the DNR has'nt proven they can handle problems out there now let alone an increase in more hunters...I'd like to see more agressive enforcement before we start handing out more tags.

One solution would be to "deputized" (for lack of a better word) other law enforcement agencies during the hunting seasons....that would send a clear message to the law breakers that inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated.

i wanted to take a moment to comment on this topic. first of all i am a non-res archer who has been coming to your beautiful state since 1996.i have NO problem paying a higher price for being a non-res. the thing i don't like is having to buy a license for something i have no interest in. i had to buy a small game license for $50.00 some odd dollars, when i was going to hunt deer . not pheasants,not squirrels,not even ducks. now does a small game hunter also have to buy a big game license? seems to me there is a double standard. if any non-res come to wi to hunt deer you only have to purchase a deer license...over the counter i might add.... again i'm not crying about paying too much or even about having to draw a tag. my gripe is making me buy a license i don't need or want.

To G6- I hunt unguided, on Public ground and at the age of 52 I am seeing the need to get around alittle. Sorry, if that is a problem. But an increase =to a cost of a beer in a bar doesn't stop anyone from doing anything. If you are just a NR basher, go find a pity party and have a ball. This forum is for hunters not cry babies.

Darton Guy wrote:To G6- I hunt unguided, on Public ground and at the age of 52 I am seeing the need to get around alittle.

I'm glad you can, and hope you enjoy the hunting while you still can.

< Sorry, if that is a problem. But an increase =to a cost of a beer in a bar doesn't stop anyone from doing anything.>

No it doesn't, but I don't like someone from another state coming on the IOWA WHITETAIL web site calling us a bunch of whiners.

<If you are just a NR basher, go find a pity party and have a ball.>

I'm not a NR basher as you call it, but from your attitude you could be a first.

<This forum is for hunters not cry babies.>

As far as I'm concered this discussion is over if you can do nothing more than call me names. Have a good day.

G6

Maxracx, even the residents have to buy the small game (regular hunting license) and habitat stamp to hunt deer and turkey. I personally haven't been hunting anything else (not even turkey) now for a couple years and would probably pass on buying them if I didn't have to.

G6

Until the demand drops considerably and the revenue from NR tags follows, I suggest we continue to generate as many $$ there as possible by controlling the supply and preserving the quality of the herd. No, I'm not against a resident increase, but I think there are proportionately more $$ to be made on the NR side.

I have been hunting Iowa now for about 10 years and will be heading your way on the 26th for this years late muzzleloader season. Personally,I don't have a problem with the NR situation in Iowa other than the drawing itself. I jsut can't understand why thiws draw is so late in the year. I plan a hunt to Iowa, and yes I hunt with a very reputable outfitter and friend, and by the time of the draw it is extremely difficult to book anywhere else if I don't get drawn. I don't liek the price but that is the cost to play, if I don't like it, I don't buy it. Pretty simple. I don't mind the small game license, it actually gives me something else to do should I fill out early.
The one thing that I think is totally out of line in Iowa though is the quota's for NR. They mandate that only 35% of the tags go to bowhunters while the remaining are for gun. don't you think this is backwards. NR hunters, from the last statistics I've seen, enjoy about 25% success with bow and 85% with gun. If this quota was reversed the NR hunters would have very little to no impact on the trophy buck population and an increase in the amount of licenses issued would add valuable revenue with low impact for the residents. I believe that it was the IBA that pushed for this quota, not the gun hunters. So I asked, how screwed up is the IBA--Hey fella's the gun hunters are killing all your deer. I chose to muzzleloader hunt this year (the first in 10 trips I have not bowhunted) for a change and also to play the percentages in getting the tag.
By the way I';ve shot only 2 fo your bucks in 10 trips so I bear out the percentages.
Have a happy holiday everybody!

I have learned a couple of things from this disscusion. I didn't know that the NR licenses were on a quota bassis with bow hunters only 35%. That doesn't make a lot of sence on the surface at least. I would think it should be at least 50/50. The other thing that I never thought of is the small game regular hunting license. I have never not had one since I was 12 years old so I never thought about needing one to go along with the deer license. I think that if this is a requirement for residents it must be required for nonresidents. Sorry guys.

On the issue of DNR revenue, I wonder if they have ever considered an outfitter or a lease hold license or permit. I know that Minn. requires an outfitter or guide license. The guy I hunt bears with spends about $1000.00 a year for licenses. Maybe that would help revenues and limit some of the flyby night or hobby outfitters. It should at least make them register with the State of Iowa, and make them more responsible.

Merry Christmas everyone and hunt safe!

Rembrandt

I guess I'd like to see a more detailed explanation on several of the statements you made above.

"My issue with the DNR is their poor enforcement of game laws..."

Do you have specific cases you're referring to or just your overall opinion? Do you mean there aren't enough conservation officers to adequately cover the state or the current ones aren't doing their job by enforcing the law?

"I'd like to see more aggressive enforcement before we start handing out more tags."

Define "aggressive enforcement". We can only enforce what we see or, in the case of a TIP call, what someone else has witnessed.

"One solution would be to 'deputize' other enforcement agencies during the hunting season."

Going by that statement I'll make an assumption (sometimes a dangereous proposition) and say you don't have a law enforcement background. Sheriff's deputies and Iowa State Patrol troopers can and do enforce our fish and game laws--some individual officers more than others--with much of that to do with where they reside (urban vs. rural), even though that is not their main law enforcement emphasis. We (Conservation Officer) can enforce 321 code violations (motor vehicle--speeding, no driver's license, etc.) but don't do it to the extent the other enforcement agencies do.

Their are times Conservation Officers feel frustrated with not enough time in the day to do what they want to do, especially during the fall hunting seasons. You want to be out during the day to check pheasant hunters, but you also want to work at night to check trappers and work spotlighters. You have to make your choice.

Then there is working with the plane. Our night work more than not involves working in conjunction with the ISP plane looking for spotlighters. This night activity covers several counties and quite a few officers. Many times the evening work will last close to eight hours by itself--with the hours dependent on how far away you are working.

There were several evenings I worked the Carroll County area (I live in Council Bluffs/Pottawattamie Cty). Where I sit is close to a two hour one-way drive for me. One evening we ended up with a 50 mile long chase on a spotlighter. I got home that "day" at 6 AM (after getting up at 8 AM). Then after a long four hour nap I was up and going again because we were working a decoy near the Missouri line that Sunday morning.

Are there enough Conservation Officers to adequately patrol during the fall months--no. But I wouldn't call that "poor enforcement of game laws". We need the eyes and ears of the public (both hunting and non-hunting) to assist us. But---every year COs get calls about some illegal activity that is days and weeks after the action occurred. It sure would be nice to get it in a more timely fashion.

Then there are the instances when someone tells us about an illegal activity but won't give up the name because it is someone they work with, hunt with, are relation to, etc. Point blank, if they don't report it they are just as guilty as the person doing the illegal act. And if they can't give a name, please don't call and waste my time.

As far as money for new (or more COs) that is controlled by the legislature. Don't blame the DNR for that. Initially money from NR deer and turkey licenses were to go for hiring more COs but after a few years the legislature changed that.

I guess that is enough venting on my part. As I said at the beginning I'd like to hear your explanations.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Top Bottom