Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR Buck Tag. Shotgun vs. Muzzle loader

Diggdug

So I bought some land in Zone 6 and although I am mostly a bow hunter I am not willing to wait 4 years to get a tag and enjoy hunting the property for the first time. So that leaves either shotgun or late muzzle loader season. My question is what season would I have the best odds of drawing a tag? Shotgun or ML? How do I find out the odds? Thanks!

Thanks! So it looks like ML and Shotgun tags are lumped in together. So there is no advantage in applying for one over another?

What you could do is get to know a local and trade some hunting rights with him....in exchange for party hunting.

You can then buy a doe tag and cross tag during the shotgun season. In exchange he could watch over your ground and bow hunt??

No need to apply. As you are guaranteed a landowner doe tag

What you could do is get to know a local and trade some hunting rights with him....in exchange for party hunting.

You can then buy a doe tag and cross tag during the shotgun season. In exchange he could watch over your ground and bow hunt??

No need to apply. As you are guaranteed a landowner doe tag

Yea, because that is exactly what we want to promote. :thrwrck:

You would have to stay on your ground with a landowner tag... even if "party hunting"

Correct me if I'm wrong....

Also, if you killed a buck and the "party" wasn't with you.... better be ready for a ticket.

Last edited:
Besides the legal stuff... how big is your property? Big enough to hold good numbers of deer or do they just pass through? If it holds deer and there's a late season food source, id get late muzzy. If they pass through, go for shotgun and let people kick deer to you. Deer often go from timber to timber in search of a safe zone during shotgun..big and little parcels.. until the bigger/smart bucks decide the only safe zone is 600yds on an open fenceline with a few trees. Or perhaps, they stop at your property with little or "no" pressure.... until you drop the hammer!:way:

Win win either way IMO

You would have to stay on your ground with a landowner tag... even if "party hunting"

Correct me if I'm wrong....

Also, if you killed a buck and the "party" wasn't with you.... better be ready for a ticket.

Correct, another option is you can get NR OTC doe tag in several counties, hunt anywhere in the county

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I am very familiar with the laws in Iowa concearning party hunting. I must say that I am not in favor of the practice nor do I care much for deer drives. In my mind its a sloppy way to hunt and promotes shooting at and wounding running deer. That being said, I will play the NR lottery and hope for the best. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks guys! I am very familiar with the laws in Iowa concearning party hunting. I must say that I am not in favor of the practice nor do I care much for deer drives. In my mind its a sloppy way to hunt and promotes shooting at and wounding running deer. That being said, I will play the NR lottery and hope for the best. Thanks again for your help!

I'm not a big fan either, but if it means sitting home and not hunting or hunting Ill take hunting my own property every year.

Party hunting does not have to be deer drives... Either way good luck with your property!!

Not sure what your not in favor for about party hunting..?

The idea of it including deer drives as a tactic.. and there are many more as well.

Or

The thought of being able to fill other peoples tag? Or have yours filled by someone else?

Just curious.

Not sure what your not in favor for about party hunting..?

The idea of it including deer drives as a tactic.. and there are many more as well.

Or

The thought of being able to fill other peoples tag? Or have yours filled by someone else?

Just curious.

I'd guess all of the above

It seems to not affect the quality of deer in Iowa. Cross tagging in MN, lots of guys shoot forks and sixes and fill other guys tags. We have bigger issues(Early November 9 day gun season)

Last edited:
Party hunting laws can be easily abused. Tags are sold, used illegally, bought by people who never set foot in the woods, etc. I know it's a tradition to drive deer and party hunt in Iowa, but that doesnt make it right. Just my opinion, as long as your not breaking any laws, more power to ya. But that seems to be a tall order for some.

Party hunting laws can be easily abused. Tags are sold, used illegally, bought by people who never set foot in the woods, etc. I know it's a tradition to drive deer and party hunt in Iowa, but that doesnt make it right. Just my opinion, as long as your not breaking any laws, more power to ya. But that seems to be a tall order for some.

Unbelievable! You should have bought ground in Nebraska!

Top Bottom