Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR Draw Results

Yep, last years. You silly Limb Chicken!
grin.gif

bootyshake.gif

Hey Aaron... Ignition switch, ring a bell, pony express or what? I realize you move a little slower than most but man...
wall.gif

Chopper.

It's funny enough I clicked on the link in Limbs first post without reading the rest of the thread. The bad part was calling a buddy and telling him he drew LOL...Think I"ll let him enjoy tonight and maybe tell him tomorrow
smirk.gif

any idea when the 2007 results are in? Had a non-rez hunter on a neigboring prop last fall that apparently was denied a tag according to the site.

I drew a Zone 5 archery tag and am looking forward to it. I just had shoulder surgery this Wed and this will be my motivation to rehab it quickly. Looking forward to it.

Can anyone explain why it is trending toward three years to draw an archery tag yet you can draw a gun tag almost every year. I drew a tag in 2005 and spent 18 days in Iowa. Hotels, meals, fuel ect. Most gun hunters would spend 1 to 5 days. Seams like the State is missing out on some income.

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain why it is trending toward three years to draw an archery tag yet you can draw a gun tag almost every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only up to 35% of the quota can be Bow tags. So naturally they're harder to draw.

You could apply for a late muzzy season tag and use your bow if you really wanted to.

Be patient Bukmastr. As long a Iowa keeps the current cap on NR tags and no preference for NR landowners the hunting will continue to be good. So when you do draw a tag it will be worth your time and money to come and hunt. Remember that some of the best elk hunting units out west are a once in a lifetime tag and some areas take 10-20 years to draw a tag. There again, once you draw a tag you have a good chance at a real monster.

I guess i have the same question. Why wouldn't it be the other way around (35% gun tags instead of bow). Does the DNR want NR's to come in and shoot deer? At $100 for a doe tag, I don't think this is the reason. So why wouldn't they issue more bow tags, take the NR's money and have a much less chance of them shooting deer just by the nature of bowhunting...

Because we don't gun hunt the rut. During the gun seasons the big boys don't move during daylight unless it is brutally cold or they get pushed. So gun hunters will harvest less of our older class bucks 3.5+ year olds and more of our 1.5-2.5 year old bucks and more does. More bowhunters in the woods when the big boys let their guard down is not what Iowa needs if producing trophy class deer is what we desire. Not saying that producing trophy class deer is the DNR's intent but that is one of the many reasons why we have the deer hunting we do.

Iowa Bowhunters Assn wanted it that way and they pushed their legislators and the DNR to get it. No scientific reasoning here, just organized lobbying by determined residents.

I understand about not gunhunting during the rut. VERY smart move. I wish my state did the same thing. However limiting bowhunters during the rut because we'll put a dent into your bucks?? I understand they are more visible and on their feet more than at any time of the year. But it's still bow hunting. You have to get them within 30 yards or so of your treestand. It's not a slam dunk hunt. I just don't buy that theory. I know it doesn't matter if I "buy it" or not, just seems like a pretty flimsy reason. Has to be more to it than that.If that were the case, why wouldn't there be a temporary shut down period for non res hunting between say October 20- November 15th? They shut down other seasons to NR's don't they?

Top Bottom