Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR Draw Results

[ QUOTE ]
Iowa Bowhunters Assn wanted it that way and they pushed their legislators and the DNR to get it. No scientific reasoning here, just organized lobbying by determined residents.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I understand it, the 35% cap was not the IBA's baby. It was introduced by a legislator and rode through without the IBA's knowledge.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

[ QUOTE ]
Iowa Bowhunters Assn wanted it that way and they pushed their legislators and the DNR to get it. No scientific reasoning here, just organized lobbying by determined residents.

[/ QUOTE ]

The IBA never asked for this cap.A legislator from Polk Co. run that one in.

One quick comment.
The IBA is a grass roots association that we like to think is somewhat organized.

My question is: Aren't all state bowhunter groups as organized? If not Why?

I can't think of any reason that a IBA member should be apologetic about sticking up for what they believe in.In fact, shame on other state groups for not doing a better job of defending their members.

This group gets credit for doing some good and some credit for being a evil, selfish group. We'll accept both. I think it's a sign that we are doing something right.

PROUD IBA MEMBER

Youre not getting the point. They just dont want NR competition in the woods during the hunt. They lose land to outfitters that they once hunted for free. there is no biological reason for the cap

Moben, could it be your are a outfitter not getting your way?
confused.gif

I get the point. You stated the IBA was responsible for the 35% cap, which it wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]
there is no biological reason for the cap

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, true. It's been stated many times it's not about the herd, it's about the residents. The herd is being managed by our DNR and residents, other than limited access areas.... it is working well.

I'd be suprised if it ever changed.

the regulations that are currently set in place in Iowa, regardless of who put them there, are the sole reason to why Iowa's deer hunting is the best in the nation.
who cares who implemented them?????
as far as im concerned, tighter regs and steeper requirements are definately necessary to maintain the incredible resource we have.
if Iowa opened its doors every year to every hunter, (bow or gun) our deer herd would begin to diminish and the quality that is in such high demand would just plain suck.
i think drawing a tag 1 time in 4-5 years or better is very generous.
complain all you want, but deer hunting in Iowa is the way it is because of the way it is currently regulated!

I for one hope hunting doesn't get any BETTER in Iowa. You'll be looking at a 90% reduction in available NR tags and a 5% bow allocation. If your name isn't Drury or Primos, you ain't huntin Iowa pal.....

[ QUOTE ]
the regulations that are currently set in place in Iowa, regardless of who put them there, are the sole reason to why Iowa's deer hunting is the best in the nation.
who cares who implemented them?????
as far as im concerned, tighter regs and steeper requirements are definately necessary to maintain the incredible resource we have.
if Iowa opened its doors every year to every hunter, (bow or gun) our deer herd would begin to diminish and the quality that is in such high demand would just plain suck.
i think drawing a tag 1 time in 4-5 years or better is very generous.
complain all you want, but deer hunting in Iowa is the way it is because of the way it is currently regulated!

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif

Buckcrack and Moben

In answer to you question or, perhaps accuasation, I just went to the DNR site and checked on 2005/06 license numbers. Total number of gun licenses issued for both shotgun and both muzzle loader seasons for residents were 246,514 not counting any of the so called bonous seasons. Total number of bow licenses issued to residents for just the archery seasons was 73,518. If you divide to get a percentage that comes out to 30%. With the 35% NR archery cap they are giving the NR a 5% edge over those licenses issued to residents. It looks like that isn't to bad a deal for the NR archers!

There are some other interesting license facts here if I can get it to copy. It looks like I can't so, if it seems much more crowded and harder to find a place to deer hunt this may be some of the answer.
Total deer licenses issued
1986 141,030

1996 202,834

2005 391,864

To me that looks like an increas of almost 4 times the numbers. I know that some of that can be explained with all the multipule tags for one hunter, but even if the increase is only 3 times that is a huge amount. The other side of this problem is that there is less habitate acres for all these extra hunters to hunt in creating more and more acess problems. I started hunting deer with my first license in 1973 when there weren't many deer but lots of places to hunt and not many hunters. Some time arround the mid 80's deer hunting became a business and has grown to a multi-billion dollar business that will soon strangle us all. I just know that it used to be a lot more fun and exciting to have the family group together with all the kids and brothers and dads making a deer drive during shotgun season that might cover several hundred acres of timber and take several hours. At the end everyone had some kind of story to tell and we were all excited if we had killed 2 or 3 deer, and then we would go to another area and do it all again in the afternoon and then watch the Hawkeye basketball tournament that night if we could stay awake long enough. Boy how I miss that!!
bawling.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't it be the other way around (35% gun tags instead of bow). Does the DNR want NR's to come in and shoot deer? At $100 for a doe tag, I don't think this is the reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it be that we have non residents coming to Iowa and buying extra doe tags for those Iowanizing deer drives? Nahhhhhh.....
grin.gif

Top Bottom