Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR draw

I am just relaying what I was told. They could have been incorrect in what they told me.....who knows?

It maybe how people are counting points, one may be saying he had 2 going into the draw and the other may be counting this years points as well.
The guy from NY sounds right with his #'s from my experience, if I've had 2 points going into the draw, meaning this is my third year to apply, I have always in the past received a tag.
Not sure if this is the case, but it is my guess. With a true points system, man with the most points wins. If two have same points, it's luck of the draw between those two. As long as your talking about same season and zone.

What I was told:
[FONT=&quot]There are always difference between zones. Some people with only 1 preference point will get drawn in the zones in north central or northwest Iowa while some with 3 may not get drawn in southern Iowa.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But even within a zone a nonresident with more points might not get drawn if they apply as a group with someone who has fewer points than them. The whole group gets treated the same as if the person with the lowest number of points. For example, someone with 3 preferences points might get drawn and someone with 4 might not if the person with 4 was in a group with someone who had 1 or 2 (or even 3 if not all those with 3 points get drawn.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The way our system works is that the preference points are added after the draw if you apply and are unsuccessful in the draw. If you are successful you do not get a preference point and cannot buy a preference point for that year. You can also purchase a preference point and not apply.[/FONT]

The tags are distributed similar to how residents buy them. If 30% of residents buy bow tags, only 30% of NR's get bow tags. 30% is a rough number, I forget what the exact percentage is. Anyhow, NR bowhunters get fewer tags to draw from than gun hunters. This keeps the resource in line with how residents use it and also from being over pressured, as there is an exteme demand to hunt the Iowa rut.

Top Bottom