Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR RE: TO DONT BE AN IDIOT........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have times changed so much today than we'll say 20+ years ago that we must have our hand in creating a deer herd that we have a bigger influence over it than good old nature? Sometimes I wonder how deer even survived back in the day when no one cared about horns and just shot deer to eat them. Nature took care of herd imbalances, peaks and valleys...not a guy sitting up in a tree with camo on.</div></div>

I see what your saying...

To be honest, most of my management efforts aren't so much for the deer, they are for me!!!

I just love consumming myself in the whole 365 whitetail thing.

I mean seriously, what would I have to do last night if I didn't have to spray my clover plot, check cameras, freshen minerals sites, etc.....

I think a lot of people that take deer management seriously do it because they love it and feel like they are helping the deer herd.

I'm personally enjoying this thread, I enjoy some civil discussion and enjoy different points of view.

With that said, I'm planting a food plot, not for the deer, but for me. I don't believe that where I reside, deer management is worth putting a foot into. Not saying it isn't elsewhere, but it's not here. My mineral licks are also for my camera, so again, for me, not the deer.

If you think about it, in areas with a 10-1 ratio, those bucks sure have it good, even if only for 6 weeks a year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think about it, in areas with a 10-1 ratio, those bucks sure have it good, even if only for 6 weeks a year.</div></div>

Lord knows I would like to run myself skinny chasing 10 hot does! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

well, this is how it went....

deer lived here man did not.....

man moved in, killed TONS of deer to feed his family

deer almost disappeared....

man realized this and rebuilt the population

man over did it, and now there are more deer than many chunks of land can support....

so to answer your question, man created the current deer herd and it is in need of man's involvment to maintain healthly population levels.....

deer needs man to survive, man needs to kill deer to survive.....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

ironic isn't it?

(this is tongue in cheek, but not far from reality)

</div></div>

I'd say that's pretty much spot on. Even with the influx of deer we all admit that we have in areas....we still keep on planting those food plots to keep 'em flocking in only for those doe to keep spitting out more and healthier fawns. ha, ha

It is pretty humorous when I step back and look at it. When I started hunting, we persecuted bucks. If they had an antler you could see, they were coming home in a truck or we were gonna die trying! These days, we can treat them like glass figurines!

Odd thing is, both approaches were/are fun in their own right. Sometimes its a hoot to go out and just hunt for any deer that'll show him/her-self, and I wouldn't give up a single spike-horn buck I killed when I was a lad. But its just as enjoyable to watch a buck grow into Bubba and help him out a little on the way (shooting does, food plots, minerals, etc).

So Stump Shooter has a great point, IMO; if you feel like you're "farming" deer, its more like growing a crop than participating in something wild. In other words, not as fun. Farmers have an expectation of that "crop" or reward, and there'll be disappointment if that doesn't happen. But if you approach it like Ghost--enjoy the process for what it is--it's not work at all!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grasshopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So Stump Shooter has a great point, IMO; if you feel like you're "farming" deer, its more like growing a crop than participating in something wild. In other words, not as fun. Farmers have an expectation of that "crop" or reward, and there'll be disappointment if that doesn't happen. But if you approach it like Ghost--enjoy the process for what it is--it's not work at all! </div></div>

No farming here. I lack the land and resources to pull something like that off. All I hunt are small woodlot patches and I have to roll with what I'm given. Heck...seeing deer sometimes is the highlight of my hunt. And that's through my binos!

My point about farming deer is that if you go out to shoot "a" specific deer hunt after hunt....Your a deer farmer even though your hunting free ranging whitetails. You let that little buck go in the hopes of shooting him later when he's got some head gear of your liking. Based on what you said....maybe the more appropriate title would be....

Hobby Deer Farmer LOL

I'm with you, friend!!

98% of my hunting is on land I don't own and have almost zero control over. So passing on a buck is an act of faith.

But I do own FIVE acres; 1/3 house and lawn, 1/3 food plots (no kidding!) and 1/3 woods. But I spend more time playing around with food, minerals, cameras, than sanity would dictate. I have one tree stand here on the place and I passed a couple of bucks last year I'll be lucky to see again. Heck, I'm like Oliver Douglas on the old TV show "Green Acres"! But I love it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">98% of my hunting is on land I don't own and have almost zero control over. So passing on a buck is an act of faith.</div></div>

With a bucks range in the month of November...we are all passing bucks on an act of faith.

I guess I'm a farmer... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">98% of my hunting is on land I don't own and have almost zero control over. So passing on a buck is an act of faith.</div></div>

With a bucks range in the month of November...we are all passing bucks on an act of faith.

I guess I'm a farmer... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

</div></div>

What are the stats again? A buck's rutting range can be up to 3-5 miles? That's 1920-3200 acres! lol It's a good possibility that we all see bucks during the rut that we may never see again, but likewise for every other hunter in the woods.

So if we agree that passing a buck is an act of faith, does that make deer hunting a religion? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Closer to God 25 feet up in a tree...I guess so! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Closer to God 25 feet up in a tree...I guess so! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

</div></div>

That's why I like to be around 20'. I'm just not quite ready to be that 5' closer to that man. LOL

Top Bottom