Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR tags exceed $500

Jdubs

NR tag increases surpass $500 for an anysex deer tag, $544.50 to be exact. Talk about pricing out the little guy. I know paying $300 to $400 was tough, but doable. Now, at over $500 I'm starting to question its worth. The tags will sell but to folks with money. I know the DNR needs $$ but I would have found it elsewhere.
How many of you NR's will now hesitate to buy this tag??

I am no too surprised by this. Eastern and southern Iowa are flooded by non-res hunters. Even where I live (central Iowa) I see almost as many non-res hunters as locals certain times of the year (RUT!) This is Iowa DNR's way of not raising the Iowa resident hunting license fee and that will keep many Iowans happy. Do you think they would rather keep resident or non-res hunters happy? I think you know what would cause more trouble for them. With Iowa the new no.1 in whitetails, I guess if you don't live here, you have to pay to play. This being said, I have no problem with non-res hunters. I do have a problem with anyone (res or non-res) who is paying 5 or 6 figures to a farmer so he can plant food plots and put up feeders and have that farmer give them his landowner tags so they can put on drives to the stand they are sitting and then make money when they sell the video to all the idiots who don't know any better and think that this is fair chase and how to hunt. This is who will be left if the price for the non res-tags goes up too much, unless you other guys are willing to pay 550 to hunt the best whitetails in the nation.

I am sure they will still sell out at $550.00. For a chance at a good buck is one thing but a doe only tag will cost a n/r over $360.00! I will never ask a n/r how many does he shot again. That is just crazy for 35# of meat.

I think it's getting a little crazy, but the truth is for the quality of deer available in Iowa I would pay double that if I knew I could get an archery buck tag every year. I have a friend who has a great farm I can hunt on and it bums me out that I can only get a tag every 3 years. I'm a normal middle class hunter so that would be almost half of my hunting budget every year. I just wish we could get more affordable antlerless tags.

I could really care less if non residents can't pay for the licenses... No offense to you but I'm tired of the land around Iowa being leased to out of state hunters who don't put the time and effort in to scouting, tracking, food plotting, conservation etc.. And showing up during our rut and also trashing public grounds with garbage and other things. I believe you should be a resident of the state in order to hunt its grounds, public or private, non residents should be confined to game farms only where they pay the out of state fees PLUS the guide fees.

I wont be buying a tag this year. I used to look forward every year to going over to my buddies families farm and waiting for the sun to rise on opening morning. Hunting til noon and then eating chili and deer sausage at the cabin. But every year it has been getting more of a hassle. Last year the "resident" across the fence from my buddies, shot 7 doe opening morning from the same tree. 5 of them babies. He then threw the carcusses on my buddies side of the fence a few days after and when my buddy asked him about it he said, theyre on your property, you deal with it. Stuff like that just turns me off about hunting anymore. It seems its all about big racks and MONEY MONEY MONEY. Why cant you guys just hunt for fun? Theres not many threads on here where people dont say, oh well them outta state guys they just arent any good. Leaving trash everywhere, killing all of MY bucks, not scouting, putting out food plots,.......why the hell put out food plots. Just hunt and have some dang fun. They have plenty to eat, they arent going to starve. Its pathetic. Its to the point that im about to get out of deer hunting all together. Ill help friends clean deer if they get one but thats as far as im going. Ill stick to fishing. I can go out and relax on the river without people complaining and whining about how everyone else is doing things the wrong way.

I could really care less if non residents can't pay for the licenses... No offense to you but I'm tired of the land around Iowa being leased to out of state hunters who don't put the time and effort in to scouting, tracking, food plotting, conservation etc.. And showing up during our rut and also trashing public grounds with garbage and other things. I believe you should be a resident of the state in order to hunt its grounds, public or private, non residents should be confined to game farms only where they pay the out of state fees PLUS the guide fees.

Perfect example right there, GREEDY. Its a freakin deer man. Do you realize how wrapped up you are in a mammal?

Sofakingfast 1,
Well said! For those Iowans out there that can't see or think past their own special interest, the current economic situtation can be compared to what this increase in tags will do to you. Individuals and large corps in this country had become so greedy and were so focused on ripping anyone and everyone to their last dollar that finally it backfired. Just look and the jobless figures, lost homes, failed banks, etc. This increase in NR tags will cause more lost revenue for residents and businesses in Iowa than you'll ever know! Yes the DNR will show more money collected but guess who will really take it on the chin. As previously stated, the residents and small businesses in Iowa and they, my friend, are the backbone of your great state. And, guess who is next in line for an increase, you are!
I've been coming to Iowa for the past 7 years, drawing an anysex tag or buying a doetag and have spent countless thousands of dollars in local restaurants, hotels, small mom and pop stores, sporting goods stores, gas stations, etc.
Well, no-more because I'll not be coming to Iowa this year and likely never to hunt again. You finally priced the avg guy out of your state. Bring a smile to some of you guys...I'll bet but you know this will cause a loss of revenue for a lot of folks that really have to scratch out a living in your state. Enjoy the big bucks in your state but you are NOT the only state with them!

I dont see how it will effect us at all.the same number of nr hunters are still going to be coming here, i will guarantee we still fill the quota,if we had 3000 nr deer hunters last year and 3000 this year,it comes out the same, only this year will bring in more money.im sure that there will be non residents that will be happy a few others arent going to hunt,now it might be easier for them to draw.these hunters are still going to be spending money in these small stores.as for resident fees going up,i would be glad to pay a little more to keep the hunting that i have.non residents have already priced alot of people out of buying ground.and i have nothing against non residents,but when i go to new mexico i pay the price on the application i dont complain about it.

jclaws, you may be correct...hope that you have a great year chasing those big Iowa bucks. Just a little miffed that I'm getting priced out of the picture. I do have to point out that for all the places I've traveled, none have the quaility of people that live in the SE area. They're curtious, helpful and very genuine sort of folks. I've made some great lifelong friends there. Have a great day.

I dont see how it will effect us at all.the same number of nr hunters are still going to be coming here, i will guarantee we still fill the quota,if we had 3000 nr deer hunters last year and 3000 this year,it comes out the same,

The way I read into what he was saying is that the increase may have squeezed out the avg guy. You will indeed have just as many people coming but the way I understand his point and also maybe see it as well is that the 3000 people that will be coming to Iowa just may indeed be the type that has a little bit deeper pockets. Maybe the type to hire an outfitter, who leases all kinds of ground or maybe even has enough money to lease their own chunk. That could be detimental to the odd Iowan. I see both sides of this argument as being valid, it's a debate that could never end.

I didn't complain about paying $560 for my tag elk hunting in Colorado, that is what I must pay for being a non-resident. If you don't like to pay for the tag, don't hunt in Iowa.

I didn't complain about paying $560 for my tag elk hunting in Colorado, that is what I must pay for being a non-resident. If you don't like to pay for the tag, don't hunt in Iowa.

Yeah and Im sure you're really pinching your pennies to save up for that elk hunt arent you. Cant play if you arent rich.

Ill stick with fishin.

Lets just make the tags $27 for everyone and not have a draw and have 10 hunters per acre like Michigan. That would be awesome and we could all fight over 1.5 year old bucks.

Top Bottom