Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NRs kill higher percentage does than archers

Jason,
Please understand............the major majority of everyone posting on this site concerning this topic has no ill will towards you or your brother. This is a very heated topic, and one that has a tendency to make people say things they normally would not. It's difficult for myself to listen to your brothers arguments when the only time we ever hear from him is this time of year. I listened to a seminar he put on in Southern Iowa a few years back, and really enjoyed it. Later that same year he made a post on this site that really set me back, and to be honest made me lose the respect I had for him at an earlier time. Showing up during the first few legislative months of the year trying to sell your gospel isn't the best way to let folks know what you're really about, and what you're really trying to accomplish. You're brother is fully aware of what's he's getting himself into every time he makes a post here, hopefully neither of you take any of it too personally.
Critter

Don't know Mickey, don't have anything PERSONAL against anyone. I respectfully could not disagree MORE with what Friend's of Iowa stands for and is trying to do. I respectfully feel it's shameful, greedy & a tragedy if they ever get THEIR way. That's why 99% of the guys I know are so appauled by them. I will explain my case and defend what's good and right though like most on here have done.

I sure hope you don't try and distract from the debate at hand switching it to a discussion about hurt feelings and certain people's comments (and I believe you are more thick skinned than that- DISTRACTION). I feel hunters, folks of Iowa, NR & Residents, etc need to understand the atrocity that is being perpetrated on this state by FOI. They also need to understand the driving forces and motives behind FOI. What a shame if they don't & FOI got their self interest's passed.

Please just keep it professional and please don't make assumptions. He has his opinions on NR lincenses and you have yours. Opinions are like ____, everyone has one. Arguements based on substantive data that are well thought out are professional. There have been a number of those on this post and I honestly appreciate a well thought out factual arguement. The only thing I am asking and being extremely clear about is it shouldn't be personally degrading especially if one is not fully aware. And yes I will support my brother because he is my brother but more importantly because I have seen him in pursuit, a great honorable pursuit, for years. No distraction just support and request for proper handling of debates. Enjoy the post because I am done - this is so unproductive it is sad.

Jason,

Thanks for the well thought out response. I hope your brother reads this and can take advice from you. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please don't make assumptions that help support your "arguement" especially if these assumptions are negative. That my friends, is self serving. </div></div>

Everyone claims how great of a deer biologist Mickey is and I am sure he is but I honestly don't see it. Sure he can manage a pen or however much ground he has locked down in Southern Iowa but I would hate to see him in a role where he is trying to manage a state. I don't see how he could honestly say, without doubt, that this would be a solid deer management program for Iowa as a whole. What happens to the state will have no affect on his operation, but it will for the rest of us, and that is why these arguements are so heated. Everyone hears horror stories of what Illinois and Kansas has become. We don't want it. When a guy like myself knows 3 guys from out of state that would buy ground tomorrow if they could hunt it every year, the agenda of FOI will change Iowa if allowed.

Granted that is making the assumption that Nonresidents would buy more ground in Iowa if they could hunt every year. Why wouldn't they? Land prices are cheap, the hunting is phenomenal, and there is no better investment than land.

I always try to be a, the glass if half full kind of guy, but I already feel when it comes to the deer hunting future of Iowa, the glass is if half empty. Quite frankly, it upsets me and others to think this way, therefore we are willing to fight for what we currently have to make that glass half full.

Unfortunately this is one of those topics that the horse will never die but live on forever year after year after year, until the quality of the hunt declines and people can simply move on. I hope this never happens.

BTW I also believe sometimes you have to take other things into consideration besides just the numbers/ facts. I know dang well if I go to another state to hunt and pay a ton of hard earned money to do, I am coming home with something. Guaranteed!!

As a resident of Muscatine County I harvested 14 antlerless and two antlered bucks with my bow and my shotgun group shot 7 antleress and two antlered bucks. I don't think the non resident groups have the time to devote to antlerless harvest like most residents do.

IowaBowTech, you got a big ol man hug comin'!

i was always told, "you sleep in the bed you make".... that answer basically covers every aspect of this discussion.

I dont care what Mickey's credentials are, they are not being displayed in any fashion in this discussion. he most certainly deserves the scruitany he is recieving.

get a grip boys...

Wow; two years ago Mickey was ranting about his agenda for Iowa. A quote from Mickeys post 5-19-07 "My point is that if we start to see deer as potential sources of income, instead of what they are now seen by most of the public... "road blocking maggots" & "rats" They will be managed better resulting in better deer & better deer hunting"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JHellickson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have now read all of these posts and am really disheartened by the meanness of people.
Jason Hellickson </div></div>

Did you read your brothers posts?

So..... you want us to respect a guy that is willing to throw Iowa's deer herd and resident hunting opportunities into the crapper so he can hunt every year for bucks as a non-resident. Don't forget he wants to shoot them with rifles during the rut and lengthen the gun seasons... Am I missing anything?

Then you say that most of the resident's worries are assumptions. They in FACT are not. The only thing that separates Iowa from its midwestern neighbors is our regulations. Mess with those and you mess with the states deer herd, sure it won't affect YOUR family you all have 5,000 acres to yourselves. Trying to alter the states regulations to best fit your needs with no considerations to anyone else "my friend" is the definition of self serving!

Thank you River Bottom Bottom Boy, that is the same post that came to my mind regarding Mickey's professionalism, honesty & respect for others. His true colors shining thru!

Top Bottom