Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR's

hcsafari

I am gonna go out on a limb here at the risk of being stoned. I am not a resident of Iowa, but keep in mind I grew up there and lived there for 22 years, still have family and friends who live and hunt there and I still come there to hunt when I can afford it.

To be brutally honest with you, there is way to much NR bashing going on in here. Seems a NR is almost a dirty word. I know most of you don't see it or even notice what's being said or maybe I just read to much into it, not sure, but I imagine many other NR's can see it as well. And I can understand some of it when articles come out in the paper telling of how the NR's used their doe tags to illegally harvest trophy bucks. But do not lump us all together as one group of bad people who use their "temptation tags" to cause you residents ill will. Ya know, I also recall reading the story about the idiot who shot the buffalo - did I think all resident hunters were idiots after reading that? Certainly not, but I hope you see the comparison.

I, along with thousands of others who come to your state to enjoy the natural resources, are law-abiding hunters. Many of us come there to "come back home", spend quality time with relatives and friends doing the things we all enjoy so much. When I come there and hunt, I am not running up the land prices or taking land away from some resident - I am hunting the same land that I am my family and friends have been hunting for 30 years. I imagine it's the same for many other NR's.

We bring new money into your local economies - each dollar we spend as a NR turns over 7 times in your state - 7 times. I can't even imagine the dollar amount that comes to and what it means to the thousands of small buisnesses in the thousands of small rural towns throughout Iowa.

I enjoy coming to this site and will continue to so, even though I have now probably allienated myself. So please don't take this in the wrong context as I love Iowa as much as most of you do and I hope to get back there for good one day. I guess I just had to open my big mouth and get that out rather then be upset each time I come here and see the negatives.

Let the stone throwing begin.

brick[1].gif
That's the only stone I'll throw.
grin.gif
That's the only stone that should be thrown with a well said post like your's.
beerchug.gif

I know how people feel about NR's, But we even have it with out of county people. I have had it happen to me when I am hunting. People say don't you have deer,turkey,coyote in sioux county. Not a whole lot you can do about it. We do have a lot of fox and pheasants though. We do have those animal but not as big or as many. Everyone wants to go where the hunting is or seems to be better and it will piss alot of people off. It happens. Don't let it get to you. I don't.

I don't think that most of the posts here are meant to be negative about the non-resident hunters themselves. More of it has to do with the fact that most of us that live here don't have a ton of money and really enjoy the opportunities that we have at home. That changes very fast when all of the lands are crowded with hunters. The frustration sometimes comes out and maybe isn't worded the best. Sorry if you take that as bashing, I don't think it is usually meant to be.

You shouldn't interpret a strong desire to limit the number of non resident tags in our state as a dislike of the non residents themselves. It's simply a matter of wanting to maintain the high quality hunting opportunities we currently have here. Significant increases in the # of NR tags not only doesn't advance this desire, it hinders it.

NWBuck

well said NWBuck. we are just trying to look out for the quality and quantity of our deer herd. too steep of an increase coould deplete the herd too much, too fast. it was only in the early 80's when iowa residents had to draw for the chance to get an any-sex tag. we can go back, faster than it took for us to get where we are now.

no offense is intened to any of our law abiding non-resident iowawitetail friends.

hcsafari, thanks for sharing your views. I tend to cringe before reading a post that refers to NRs or non-residents. In a given thread, several people will be rational and civil. Then it tends to escalate, either because of stupid/harsh comments made by residents and/or non-residents alike. Anymore, I tend to skirt these threads, because I hate to see like-minded people getting so out of hand over something like this.

Please people, deal with the resident/non-resident issues without making inflammatory statements. I love this site, but I hate the way these debates usually end up. Debates are fine . . . if they are handled with respect. Please don't let this site turn into a flame war. Let's get back to deer and turkey hunting discussions !

hcsafari,
well said brother. I'm in the SAME situation as you are. Grew up in Iowa and go back every year to hunt with family and friends. I bet there are alot of us out there.

HCSafari - I understand what you are saying and for the most part I agree with you. But I will also add this... IMO some of what could be perceived as NR bashing has been brought to bear by a small number of NR's that have started posts here with inflammatory statements, exaggerations and even blatant name calling directed towards residents.

I welcome active discussions on subjects where there are several points of view, whether they involve NR's or residents or whatever. I hope we do not squelch any discussion(s) that could be a bit ouchy in an attempt to make sure no ones feelings ever get hurt. But I do think we should all conduct ourselves in a civil manner that respects the wishes and mission of this fine site. Thanks for expressing your point of view and considering mine.

Top Bottom