Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nuclear Power

Fishbonker

Life Member
Since a couple of political threads have popped up I’d like to hear opinions on building more nuclear power plants.

Good idea? Bad idea? Don’t care as long as it isn’t in your back yard?

The ‘Bonker

I am all for Nuclear Power. I wouldn't even be scared if it was in my own back yard. I would be more scared of having an ammonia plant in my back yard than a Nuclear Power Plant anyday.

One of my natural resource profs back in college spent a lot of time talking to us about energy. This guy understood conservation back and forth and was a diehard hunter, fisherman, and trapper. He remains one of the leading authorities on the Mississippi River, though he's retired.

His take? "Any thinking scientist will tell you there is no cleaner, more efficient power source than nuclear. Unfortunately the political climate in this country is such that you can't even have a discussion about it. The hippies and Hollywood types come running out of the woodwork and convince us the world is coming to an end."

He said those words two decades ago and they remain true, in my opinion. Instead of intelligent discussions about energy policy, we get Al Gore.

Not that I'm jaded or anything /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

We are the world's largest exporter of Uranium. (Saskatchewan) and the world's largest uranium producing area as well. WE do not have a nuclear energy plant...go figure. I'm not sure what my take is on it yet but it's safe to say the majority say "export it".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are the world's largest exporter of Uranium. (Saskatchewan) and the world's largest uranium producing area as well. WE do not have a nuclear energy plant...go figure. I'm not sure what my take is on it yet but it's safe to say the majority say "export it". </div></div>

I can't even imagine how freakishly big your deer would be up there if you had nuclear power plants. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musky Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">build one here, build one now. </div></div>

Exactly...
It would take a really big disaster to kill as many people are we are feeding to the war in the oil fields.

Depending on the upcoming elections, this will most likely be one of the first new nuclear plants built in the US. The real issue is getting a federal loan program to create the 15 billion dollars it would cost.

Exelon Nuclear Texas

im all for it!!!

we are in desperate need of an alternative energy source and i dont see a down side to this.....

if i get a third eye, all the better to shoot things with.... thats the way i see it!!!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If we were introduced to gasoline the way we were nuclear energy we would still be riding horses. I agree nuclear energy is very clean.

If we were introduced to gasoline the way we were nuclear energy we would still be riding horses. I agree nuclear energy is very clean.

Having worked at a nuclear facility, my biggest concern would be a natural disaster such as an earth quake or a massive terrorist attack.
As far as operations go they obviously need.... and do have extremely strict work enforcement. I always wondered when they would write an SOP for using the restroom. Most likely including the direction you could wipe the toilet paper, down to which fingers you are allowed to actuate the flushing lever.

If they could secure a good place for waste storage, I'd say build more.

We'll get it once the government figures out how they are going to tax the hell out of it.

Nuclear Power isn't even as close to as dangerous as terrorists and oil...and some oil tycoons in the US could easily be lumped into that oil/terrorist group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If they could secure a good place for waste storage, I'd say build more.
</div></div>

The breeder reactors (4th generation reactor or whatever they call them) they use in France dramatically reduce the amount of waste produced.

Top Bottom