Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Number 11

BOWSTRING

Added another one under 20 yards and not shot. Went out last night and roosted some birds set up a little close. I was walking a timber edge that borders crp. I heard one gobble and he was close so I figured I walk down a little to set up the blind. 30 yards latter another gobble. I stopped behind a big fallen tree with some cedars in the mix and contemplated what to do. I waited til it got darker got the blind up all while one bird was gobblin probably within 30 yards or so then slipped back out. Still gobblin things are going good. I figured he'd either fly east and I wouldn't see him or he'd fly west into my dekes and I should have a shot.
got to the blind a little before 5am put the dekes out and settled into the blind. A few minutes later a gobble thunders from the timber. Things are looking good. The bird was still there and he added a buddy. Things are even better more birds better odds right. Well out of my 2 options they had the birds had a third that I didn't think of and was a little hard to swallow. That being instead of flying down into the CRP where my dekes were or of to the east where I would see or have a shot at. One bird came up with pretty much dropping straight down from the tree strutting, drumming and gobbling 10 yards behind me in the wood line as I peeked thru my closed rear windows looking to see if there were any opening to get a shot and debating if I could quietly peel the velcrow on the window open to take a shot. I didn't think that would happen so I enjoyed the show of probably the biggest bird I've seen cruise by. Figured that would be better than spooking him.
Well I changed my set up for the millionth time and we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Plan on using the dekes as blockers in the CRP hoping that'll keep him in the wood line that he likes and if he does go to the dekes I can now shoot both ways.
Couple more hours and I'll go out and see if he's around for round 2. Kind of assume he one of if not the domoinant bird in the area.
Oh yeah bird #2 I never did see or hear were he went I assume east since I didn't see him.

Yep. You're due.

2thumbs.gif

There are worse ways to spend the spring. Let that frustration turn into joy as it sounds like aside from a little bad luck you're having a great time and an exciting season.

I have been out with a bow in my hands only three times all season, so it could be worse.

Keep on him partner.

You will get him.

I had my bow and gun with me last weekend and had one right at 52-60 yards
but did not come any closer for two hours. I really wanted to drop him but did
not want to take the chance. Saw four hens go to him and then the hens peeled off and he stayed there the whole time.

It is getting close to the fourth quarter but I still
think we can pull it off. :)

Good luck to you.

12 AND 13 Friday night. Both around 20 yards maybe a little bit farther walking the timber edge one broke off and headed toward the decoys and must not of liked what he saw and took off spooking the other also.
Got a couple more days I can get out so hope things work out. If not I know a little bit more for next year one being I will get one gun tag instead of 2 bow tags.
It is awesome hearing them gobblin on the roost even if they don't do what I want after they fly down.
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

What kind or style of decoy do you use?
It shouldn't be this hard.

I know its not easy,but something is not quite clicking.
Your calling and where you set up is good.
The decoys is the final question.
Try something differrent...IMO.
Goood luck.Just trying to help.

Friday night I was using a B-Mobile with a real fan and 2 hens. The only thing I could think of is the were young birds. It was about 8pm and I couldn't see that great with the screens on the blind and looking into the timber. A few minutes after the took off the hen they were following roosted probably 30 yards from where they were. Have been using a jake and had 3 come in and knicked the one that came toe to toe with the decoy. So it's not all the turkeys fault. I'm thinking about not using a decoy at all Saturday evening and hope they come in to roost loke they have been. Haven't been out since Friday. Might get out tomorrow morning but it's getting tougher to get up at 4am when I don't get home til 11:30pm.
Thanks I'll take any help I can.

Top Bottom